No sticker, Anyone receive a sticker upon a 2nd submission? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

No sticker, Anyone receive a sticker upon a 2nd submission?

I have several coins that I really like and hoped they would CAC.
   I bought a 1798 xf 45 dollar, since pcgs gave me a plus. Great hair detail, overall strike or luster may not be good enough to CAC. Bust dollars seem to be really hard to get an approval sticker.
  Has anybody sent a coin in more than once and received a sticker on the second try??

Comments

• I am going to say yes, but very rare!  In my case, I have had coins re-graded, giving them different certificate numbers.  They came back the same grade from PCGS.  I sent them back to CAC.  Every once in a while they would then get the sticker, but very rare.  I have since stopped this.  The consistency of this company's team is amazing to me.

And another story:

I had 2 gold coins sticker at 64.  I cracked them and they came back at 63.  I sent them to CAC and email John the collateral showing the coins were stickered a grade higher.  (Thinking I was going to get a Gold Sticker on Gold!  A very rare occurrence.)  I did not.

Gold Sticker CAC coins are 2 grades minimum higher in my foolish mind.

• Yes, it happens occasionally. I wouldn’t call it rare but it isn’t super common either. CAC is open minded and gives every new submission fresh consideration. 
  • I had a 20-s Lincoln Cent in 64rd that I was auctioning sent to CAC and it didn't sticker. A number of months later the coin appeared in an another auction again with a new cert # and a CAC sticker. Kind of frustrating but at least the coin sold for only the same amount as what I sold it for.
  • It would be great if CAC could weigh in on this. Is the review process the same when a coin has already been through CAC and failed without a change in Cert number? I know a number of people who crack out a coin with the expectation that it will grade the same as it was, but the hope that it will sticker the second time around if CAC does not review it with the knowledge that it previously failed.
  • No need to "crack out a coin with the expectation that it will grade the same as it was, but (with) the hope that it will sticker the second time around...".  A simple regrade at PCGS guarantees the grade and assigns a new cert#.
    Lance.
  • Exactly as I suspected! I  have never tried it but thought about it, new certification number and or a crossover. CAC seems very consistent on the grading, yet I don't think that they would mind reviewing a coin?
  • Yes, I have had it happen once, on a coin I sent in a few times for regrade believing it was undergraded. Each time I got a new cert # (although it didn’t upgrade), I sent it back to CAC, also believing it should sticker. Finally, I think on the third try, it stickered!
  • CAC is never going to sticker over-dipped, ugly, baggy, spotted, luster-less, and/or otherwise problematic coins, no matter how many times you send them in with a different slab number. If CAC rejected your coin once, chances are that they will never approve it, at least in my experience with mostly 19th Century rarities and scarcities of all metals.
  • I know of one collector that told me he did receive a green bean on a second try, so I'm sure that it does happen but I'm also sure it is very infrequent.
  • I have re-holdered six coins in the last two years. One upgraded, five came back the same grade. 5 out of six got a CAC sticker second time around. I'm very picky about the coins I do this with. I also had a coin recently go from green to gold after having John giving it a second look. that coin wasn't re-stickered. 
  • Seatedseeker;  You must be doing something right, that is great success on those six coins!
  •   I just received my coin back from NGC and sent it in to CAC, nice proof coin.  Hopefully it will sticker. Since,  NGC scratch resistant holders are temporarily unavailable, it will be harder to grade with some scratches on the holder.
        Eventually I want to put it in a scratch resistant holder, so either way Cac will be seeing this coin again. Either to just resticker or to reevaluate for a cac sticker, thanks to NGC.
  • WilliamJ said:
      I just received my coin back from NGC and sent it in to CAC, nice proof coin.  Hopefully it will sticker. Since,  NGC scratch resistant holders are temporarily unavailable, it will be harder to grade with some scratches on the holder.
        Eventually I want to put it in a scratch resistant holder, so either way Cac will be seeing this coin again. Either to just resticker or to reevaluate for a cac sticker, thanks to NGC.
    A significantly scratched holder could result in a CAC failure.
  • Heck, yes. Any dealer who regularly submits and knows how to grade will have a rejected PQ coin reholdered (or regraded) with a different serial number and resubmit it. A while ago, CAC approved eight of my dealer friend's 18 previously rejected coins under this scenario -- and made a small fortune as a result. 
  • Evaluation of coins for passing CAC has been very consistent in my limited experience. Most of the coins I own that have not passed will never pass. Fortunately there are only a few of those. However, I had one coin that when I submitted it for evaluation 10 years ago via a walkthrough, it did not pass but I was told that it was close and I was asked if I would mind leaving it overnight for further evaluation. I foolishly declined because at the time I was not aware of the value of the CAC opinion. I really liked the coin and it was a classic rarity.
    Just last month, after 10 years, I resubmitted the coin and it passed. I was told it was a very nice coin that was borderline but worthy of the sticker. I couldn't believe it! The interesting thing is that the opinion really hadn't changed after 10 years. it was just a borderline coin but still a very nice coin. 
  • CACfan said:
    Heck, yes. Any dealer who regularly submits and knows how to grade will have a rejected PQ coin reholdered (or regraded) with a different serial number and resubmit it. A while ago, CAC approved eight of my dealer friend's 18 previously rejected coins under this scenario -- and made a small fortune as a result. 
    So is the prevailing belief that when a coin is submitted and the database shows that it was previously reviewed and rejected, the process of review is different the second time around? 
  • edited January 2022

So is the prevailing belief that when a coin is submitted and the database shows that it was previously reviewed and rejected, the process of review is different the second time around? 

CAC reviews the coins de novo.
  • CACfan said:

Heck, yes. Any dealer who regularly submits and knows how to grade will have a rejected PQ coin reholdered (or regraded) with a different serial number and resubmit it. A while ago, CAC approved eight of my dealer friend's 18 previously rejected coins under this scenario -- and made a small fortune as a result. 

That does sound like a windfall. Congrats to your friend.
  • I have sent maybe 10-15 in for a second go, of those I have had 2 get stickers on second try
  • I’ve had about 3-4 sticker when I’ve sent them in again for a second look.