Was hoping for a gold sticker on this coin — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Was hoping for a gold sticker on this coin

edited January 2022 in Grading
Unfortunately not, but it does have excellent luster and very nice surfaces, not to mention amazing eye appeal, in my opinion of course. 

Thoughts on why you think it didn’t earn a gold sticker?

Comments

• I think it didn’t earn a gold sticker because none of the attributes you mentioned overcome what looks like minor, but distinct rub - the coin doesn’t look uncirculated.
  • It didn't go gold because, as Mark Feld stated, the coin, as beautiful as it is, is still AU.
  • This is a classic 58, is what it is, a very nice 58 but not an UNC
  • I think it already has been bumped up for eye appeal, as it appears to have wear consistent with a 55 grade
  • There is very light high point friction. While the grading services will sometimes allow this is lower UNC grades, friction on a MS grade (as the gold sticker would imply) is a pet peeve of JA’s. 
  • Well, I kept looking at this coin and felt it had a decent chance of getting a plus as a 58 (solely based on its amazing luster and eye appeal…again, in my opinion of course), so I sent it back in to PCGS for a regrade and although I wanted a 58+, it actually came back as a MS62.
  • drddm said:
    Well, I kept looking at this coin and felt it had a decent chance of getting a plus as a 58 (solely based on its amazing luster and eye appeal…again, in my opinion of course), so I sent it back in to PCGS for a regrade and although I wanted a 58+, it actually came back as a MS62.
    I’m not surprised in the least. I do not anticipate a sticker though at MS62. Regardless it is a nice coin.
  • Gorgeous coin. 
  • I realize I am here late to the discussion, but the coin appears to be a really attractive AU58 to me.  The reason for this is that most Capped Bust coinage doesn't have, in my opinion, areas of strike weakness in so many places on both the obverse and reverse.  Rather, I view those coins as high grade AU pieces with some strike weakness instead of universal strike weakness.
  • many mooons ago i heard a phrase, a true 58 will never upgrade, kudos to op stunning coin, 
  • sdjaco said:
    many mooons ago i heard a phrase, a true 58 will never upgrade, kudos to op stunning coin, 
    More accurately, “a true 58 should never upgrade”.😉
  • You got me there Mark, a plus bump would have been king and he,d get a green been if he resubmitted, great coin though whatever he does, enjoy that coin 
  • This coin has really beautiful prooflike surfaces on both the obv and rev, and is definitely one of my favorites. I also believe it’s accurately graded as a 62. Sure wish though I got a gold sticker when it was in a 58 holder  :'(
  • drddm said:
    This coin has really beautiful prooflike surfaces on both the obv and rev, and is definitely one of my favorites. I also believe it’s accurately graded as a 62. Sure wish though I got a gold sticker when it was in a 58 holder  :'(
    Maybe it was net graded MS 62, as without the rub it might be a MS 63-64
  • I maybe misremembering but isn’t there an option to submit for reconsideration and specify upgrade for plus only?
  • I maybe misremembering but isn’t there an option to submit for reconsideration and specify upgrade for plus only?

Yes.  Lance does it and maybe can chime in on how often it works.  @lkeigwin
  • Yes, I’ve also sent in AU58 coins for reconsideration plus only service at PCGS but decided not to use it with this particular coin so instead sent it in as a straight regrade. 
  • I like it at 62.
  • This coin is a slam-dunk Superb Gem BU+++ by the standards of certain Ebay sellers and mail order dealers. And MS67 by the criteria of "third world slabs", as Gene Henry used to call them. 
  • CACfan said:
    This coin is a slam-dunk Superb Gem BU+++ by the standards of certain Ebay sellers and mail order dealers. And MS67 by the criteria of "third world slabs", as Gene Henry used to call them. 
    I wouldn’t go THAT far  ;) but I’m happy with it as a MS62