CAC Trading Site for Collectors — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

CAC Trading Site for Collectors

CAC already has the CDN Exchange for dealers who buy and sell CAC coins (membership costs $1,800-plus yearly), but what about starting a free website where mere collectors can buy and sell their paltry CAC wares? Sort of an online coin show for collectors only. I suggest that said collectors must be pre-screened and approved by CAC administrators but charged no fees of any kind. 

Ebay already fills this need somewhat but their sky-high fees and rampant fraud may discourage many collectors from dealing there. 

Comments

• We are looking into creating a b/s/t type of thread here but it will take some time
  • I should have known that you had already thought of this. You are always one step ahead of everyone else. 
  • I am a collector, but I think you need to include dealers also, any cac member should have the right.
  • BST happens at any time, as long as you know the person.  Yes is my vote.
  • WilliamJ said:
    I am a collector, but I think you need to include dealers also, any cac member should have the right.
    Do you mean any member of this Forum, or only persons with CAC direct submittal membership? If the latter, I would ask CAC to re-visit the direct submittal membership request/suggestion posted earlier on the CAC Board, with the requirement that it is limited to those individuals actively on the new CAC Board. Of course, it could be a limited open enrollment period, at the discretion of CAC.

Otherwise, to me, it would not be an inclusive B/S/T, but an exclusive B/S/T, and I think it would be a bit silly for the business model to enact a barrier with built-in disappointment to the average collector that does not have direct submittal membership.

Humans are Humans, and will find a way to complain and distract from the hobby.

My post is a primary example, I know.
  • I believe the B/S/T is or would be a thread of this forum, so you would have to be a member of this cac forum. At least so it seems to me, but I will let CAC work out those details.
        Probably not an easy task to complete.  Would the coins only be cac stickered?

Also,   Photography, shipping, fair pricing are all topics to consider...
  • If a BST is added, it should be open to verified CAC members only, JMHO.

A barrier to entry, yes, but also reduces the risk of fraud.
  • If a BST is added, it should be open to verified CAC members only, JMHO.

A barrier to entry, yes, but also reduces the risk of fraud.
    Yes, but the question is which membership verification, Board membership or Submittals membership? 
  • I am for an open buying experience, no CAC membership required.  Whether you are CAC registered or not will not protect you, unless CAC does, which will not happen.  

If you don't know the person, ask for the money up front.  

Finally, if you can't produce a reference from someone on this forum, don't sell to them. 

My thoughts anyway.   Cheers!
  • The concept excites me in a Positive way, so I’m looking forward to it happening.

I don’t sell many coins, but when I upgrade coins in my sets, I use the BST “elsewhere” to sell the replaced coins. However, I believe I would have even greater success using a BST on this site, as my coins offered for sale are all with CAC stickers. A site here would also give me a much easier opportunity to find upgrades!

Steve
  • The concept excites me in a Positive way, so I’m looking forward to it happening.

I don’t sell many coins, but when I upgrade coins in my sets, I use the BST “elsewhere” to sell the replaced coins. However, I believe I would have even greater success using a BST on this site, as my coins offered for sale are all with CAC stickers. A site here would also give me a much easier opportunity to find upgrades!

Steve

Steve, how do you think CAC should proceed? Should CAC charge fees for listing, membership, and actual sales? Should CAC thoroughly screen all users? Should CAC only allow collectors to list or dealers, too? Should CAC allow non-CAC transactions, like the CDN Exchange does?

There is so much fraud and other misconduct on Ebay, I am completely unsure about how I would administrate a similar trading platform.
  • How many here are stumped trying to find places to buy, sell, or auction coins?
    :o
  • Pyrite said:

How many here are stumped trying to find places to buy, sell, or auction coins?

If you want convenience, Ebay is the only real game in town. But you will need to educate yourself about fraud prevention.
  • CACfan said:

Pyrite said:

How many here are stumped trying to find places to buy, sell, or auction coins?

If you want convenience, Ebay is the only real game in town. But you will need to educate yourself about fraud prevention.
    Great Collections only needs a box of stuff you want to sell.
    They do ALL the rest.
    No imaging needed. They do that, too.

Chime in if you know others who do the same. :)
  • Facebook groups can be a great place to sell.
  • But it will take months to sell and get paid on GC, assuming that you post a decent reserve. Ebay is nearly instant.

And I won an $8,000 coin on GC but it got lost/stolen right after they mailed it to me. GC cannot deal with me now because their insurance will not cover me, even though the package was lost/stolen in GC's zip code? I continued listing the coin for months after purchase, expecting it be found but ultimately it never was. I could have sold it 10 times over for a $4,000 profit.

In my opinion, GC should improve their packaging in order to prevent such losses. But they must be doing something right because they are now the number two coin auction house in dollar volume!
  • CACfan said:

But it will take months to sell and get paid on GC, assuming that you post a decent reserve. Ebay is nearly instant.

And I won an $8,000 coin on GC but it got lost/stolen right after they mailed it to me. GC cannot deal with me now because their insurance will not cover me, even though the package was lost/stolen in GC's zip code? I continued listing the coin for months after purchase, expecting it be found but ultimately it never was. I could have sold it 10 times over for a $4,000 profit.

In my opinion, GC should improve their packaging in order to prevent such losses. But they must be doing something right because they are now the number two coin auction house in dollar volume!

Let me boldy go out on the limb, Fed Ex?
  • CACfan said:

But it will take months to sell and get paid on GC, assuming that you post a decent reserve. Ebay is nearly instant.

OT....
    Accordingly, undeserving of a response, but GC has a highly-praised consignment settlement record that should be noted.
  • ptolemyII said:

CACfan said:

OT....
    Accordingly, undeserving of a response, but GC has a highly-praised consignment settlement record that should be noted.
    I stand corrected. I SHOULD have said it will take months to SELL if your reserves were full retail as mine were. But Ebay allows you to aggressively market your coins with full descriptions.
    CAC_Team said:

We are looking into creating a b/s/t type of thread here but it will take some time

When the time comes, there are several users here with practical B/S/T experience (PCGS or otherwise) that can advise @CAC_Team on a strong set of cautionary guidelines for an FAQ.