My CAC Type Collection Results First Time Submission — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

My CAC Type Collection Results First Time Submission

edited January 2022 in General
I recently submitted this past year 8 coins as a new CAC member. Received 4 green and 2 gold stickers. Was very careful to buy only beautiful eye appealing coins. Unfortunately the Buffalo had slight pvc that doesn’t detract from the look anyway and the SLQ has such minor rub on the knee it was apparently net graded 64. JA is a purist with UNC. 
My message to new collectors is you can have a great collection for under $1000 if you are patient and careful in your selection. Buy the best you can afford and don’t compromise. Learn about pvc and high point friction as I just have from JA and other things from CAC.

Comments

• Congratulations. Nice looking group.
  • Six of eight beaned with two going gold? I would be happy to get six mere greens out of 60 submitted if all were my typical auction dreck. I once went zero for 50. 
  • To Stevie:  You did well but how did you know specifically about the pvc and rub? Did you know before you sent the coins in?  When I get coins back that don’t sticker, I don’t get an explanation of why. Only once did I get a post it note explaining why my coin didn’t sticker and that was on a 2nd submission.   
  • I was wondering about the high point friction also, sorta have an idea comparing AU58 coins to UNC, is that what you mean??
  • edited January 2022
    To Stevie:  You did well but how did you know specifically about the pvc and rub? Did you know before you sent the coins in?  When I get coins back that don’t sticker, I don’t get an explanation of why. Only once did I get a post it note explaining why my coin didn’t sticker and that was on a 2nd submission.   
    I wrote a note with my coins asking for an explanation  if coins didn’t sticker. JA was nice enough to tell me that the Buffalo had pvc which shows as silver white on my coin but luckily is inert and doesn’t detract from the look. The SLQ. is graded ms 64 but has a blazing clean ms66 look except for a very slight area of dull metal on the knee. I didn’t even notice it at first. A new learning experience for me
  • WilliamJ said:
    I was wondering about the high point friction also, sorta have an idea comparing AU58 coins to UNC, is that what you mean??
    Yes. The coin is not truly uncirculated it is ms 64 net market graded, meaning the coin might have graded ms 65-66 if not for the rub. JA is a purist when it comes to high point friction. TPG market grade as a 64 even though technically it shows the slightest rub on the knee 
  • edited January 2022
    To Stevie:  You did well but how did you know specifically about the pvc and rub? Did you know before you sent the coins in?  When I get coins back that don’t sticker, I don’t get an explanation of why. Only once did I get a post it note explaining why my coin didn’t sticker and that was on a 2nd submission.   
    If you like I can send you better close up photos of the 2 coins, let me know 
  • To Stevie:  You did well but how did you know specifically about the pvc and rub? Did you know before you sent the coins in?  When I get coins back that don’t sticker, I don’t get an explanation of why. Only once did I get a post it note explaining why my coin didn’t sticker and that was on a 2nd submission.   
    If you are curious about knowing the reason if a coin doesn’t pass, include a note asking for details and you will get a note, or an invitation to call JA and discuss.  If the coin has pvc, you will get a red sticker on the holder that has pvc hand written on it.  If you haven’t gotten the red sticker yet, it means you are avoiding coins with the issue.

If I am submitting coins that I think are strong for the grade, then CAC has taught me what to look for and I rarely get the red circle of death.  However, I am working on an all rattler set where I send every new purchase in.  I sent in around 50 coins for this set in one submission knowing many were problems and I think 25 of them came back RCOD. But they are hard to come by so I had to know.
  • Stevie said:
    If you like I can send you better close up photos of the 2 coins, let me know 
    I would like to see the two coins, and thank you for your explanations, something I will be watching for in other coins.
  • Lovely group, for sure.
    Upon a return of submission from CAC, I wonder if a collector likes his coin(s) more or likes them less determined on what CAC's assessment was?
  • Thanks to all for the info. Now I know. 
  • @Stevie , you’ve started a gorgeous collection that you should be very proud owning! Keep it up!

Steve
  • edited January 2022
    @Stevie , you’ve started a gorgeous collection that you should be very proud owning! Keep it up! Steve
    Thank You. I want to ask you the SLQ has minor rub on the leg so JA couldn’t pass it. Otherwise blazing nice light toning and 66 or so obverse, my guess it was net graded at 64 by PCGS. Should I keep it as it only cost me 64 money or look and hard for a long time, and wait for a true UNC 64 with great eye appeal. Thanks 
  • Stevie said:
    @Stevie , you’ve started a gorgeous collection that you should be very proud owning! Keep it up! Steve
    Thank You. I want to ask you the SLQ has minor rub on the leg so JA couldn’t pass it. Otherwise blazing nice light toning and 66 or so obverse, my guess it was net graded at 64 by PCGS. Should I keep it as it only cost me 64 money or look and hard for a long time. Or wait for a true UNC 64 with great eye appeal. Thanks 
    Also the Buffalo didn’t pass because of light pvc which is silvery white but not detracting and I guess inert . JA told me it has a 66-67 look. Should I send it in for regrade? Holder is 20 years old 
  • edited January 2022
    Tough call, with no right or wrong answer.

I’ve put together a SLQ Full Head DATE set, currently ranked #6. To ME, it’s important enough that each of my coins merits a CAC. Right now every coin has a CAC, except one, a “filler”, a 1924 MS64FH with no CAC. To prove it’s driving me nuts, here I am at 5:15 am chatting on this forum, lol.

You can also consider selling your SLQ, trying to get strong 64 money due to the overall eye appeal, and then buy one that already has a CAC.

• Stevie said:

Stevie said:

Also the Buffalo didn’t pass because of light pvc which is silvery white but not detracting and I guess inert . JA told me it has a 66-67 look. Should I send it in for regrade? Holder is 20 years old 
    As long as you don’t mind paying the fees and shipping. Some people in this situation might crack it out, to hide their initial consensus grade of 64. But then you run the risk of it coming back Details.
  • Stevie said:
    As long as you don’t mind paying the fees and shipping. Some people in this situation might crack it out, to hide their initial consensus grade of 64. But then you run the risk of it coming back Details.
    Thanks for the feedback. Coin is actually 65. Would you do the regrade, sell and buy a CAC coin?
  • If it were me, I’d sell the coin as is, and buy a nice one with a CAC in the grade you want. But what I would do doesn’t have to be what you’ll do, and that’s ok.

Steve
  • edited January 2022
    If it were me, I’d sell the coin as is, and buy a nice one with a CAC in the grade you want. But what I would do doesn’t have to be what you’ll do, and that’s ok. Steve
    But if it grades 67 I would have a big winner. 66 a profit as it costs me $170.
    By the way I am impressed with your SLQ collection. I find most SLQ have a original look that is dark crusty dull gray. I am having trouble finding an amazing eye appealing for 64 for my collection that has a little natural color or a fresh out of a roll look if dipped. Challenging in a 64 to find a coin with a great look 
  • Stevie said:

If it were me, I’d sell the coin as is, and buy a nice one with a CAC in the grade you want. But what I would do doesn’t have to be what you’ll do, and that’s ok.

Steve

But if it grades 67 I would have a big winner. 66 a profit as it costs me $170.
    By the way I am impressed with your SLQ collection. I find most SLQ have a original look that is dark crusty dull gray. I am having trouble finding an amazing eye appealing for 64 for my collection that has a little natural color or a fresh out of a roll look if dipped. Challenging in a 64 to find a coin with a great look 

You asked what he would do and he told you. No need to reply “But....” You’re obviously free to do whatever you wish.