Conserved versus Doctored — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Conserved versus Doctored

Conserved = market acceptable improvement that results in encapsulation in problem-free PCGS or NGC slabs -- and sometimes even CAC stickers. Examples: light dipping, dirt or PVC removal with an innocuous compound, natural re-toning. 

Doctored = market unacceptable treatment that results in "Details" encapsulations. Examples: laser or mechanical smoothing, over-dipping, aggressive cleaning, "Martin" bleaching, artificial toning, re-engraving. 

Comments

• CACfan said:
    Conserved = market acceptable improvement that results in encapsulation in problem-free PCGS or NGC slabs -- and sometimes even CAC stickers. Examples: light dipping, dirt or PVC removal with an innocuous compound, natural re-toning. 

Doctored = market unacceptable treatment that results in "Details" encapsulations. Examples: laser or mechanical smoothing, over-dipping, aggressive cleaning, "Martin" bleaching, artificial toning, re-engraving. 
    But quite a few “doctored” coins make it into “problem-free PCGS or NGC slabs”.
  • Restoring a Morgan/Peace Dollar to it's BLAST WHITE GLORY, has never cost a grade or sticker.  The toning is not the original surface.  They all came off the line White.
  • Doctored is more about leaving traces of handy work. Few argue with a stunning coin and even fewer know it’s history  
  • What is "Martin" bleaching?
  • MarkFeld said:
    CACfan said:

But quite a few “doctored” coins make it into “problem-free PCGS or NGC slabs”.
    True, but at least it is not intentional. Both services do their best to put Details coins in the right holders. And both services will eat their blatant mistakes. 
  • If those are your definitions, then those are your definitions.  Personally, I tend to think of such discussions and such distinctions akin to how many fairies can dance on the head of a pin.
  • TomB said:

If those are your definitions, then those are your definitions.  Personally, I tend to think of such discussions and such distinctions akin to how many fairies can dance on the head of a pin.

Those are the market's definitions. I am unsure about your bizarre fairies analogy. Or your weird icon photo. Par for the course.
  • CACfan said:

TomB said:

If those are your definitions, then those are your definitions.  Personally, I tend to think of such discussions and such distinctions akin to how many fairies can dance on the head of a pin.

Those are the market's definitions. I am unsure about your bizarre fairies analogy. Or your weird icon photo. Par for the course.
    Where did you find those “market’s” definitions?
    It sounds like you don’t know TomB. I do and you’d be wise to pay attention to his posts, if not his icon photo. He’s easily one of the more knowledgeable, articulate, direct and intelligent numismatists I know.
  • I extrapolated from my own submissions of untold thousands of (truly rare) coins to the grading services (I have no experience with extremely common modern coins). Also, because my semantics are being questioned, kindly note that printed comments do not make "sounds".
  • CACfan said:

I extrapolated from my own submissions of untold thousands of (truly rare) coins to the grading services (I have no experience with extremely common modern coins). Also, because my semantics are being questioned, kindly note that printed comments do not make "sounds".

I didn’t say that printed comments make “sounds”.

From Merriam-Webster:
    “Definition of sound like
    1 : to seem to be something when heard
    You sound like you're tired.
    That sounds (to me) like a good idea.
    It sounds like thunder.”
  • You implied it, LOL. My grammar is not any better, so no offense was intended.
  • edited January 2022
    CACfan said:

I extrapolated from my own submissions of untold thousands of (truly rare) coins to the grading services (I have no experience with extremely common modern coins). Also, because my semantics are being questioned, kindly note that printed comments do not make "sounds".

You have submitted untold thousands of (truly rare) coins. You should incorporate. You could have saved many untold thousands of dollars on submissions.

Did or do you own any of them? That would be more pieces than Simpson. Pleaser post a few images of some of your "truly rare" in hopes your statement will satisfy skeptics.
  • Truly rare coins may cost but a few hundred dollars or even less. I have been a full-time dealer since I was a child.
  • edited January 2022
    CACfan said:

Truly rare coins may cost but a few hundred dollars or even less. I have been a full-time dealer since I was a child.

Make it coins over $1500. Skip "truly rare" as a criterion and consider what might be significant in a commercially-viable market.

I would discourage anyone from simply taking your word for that sort of lifelong experience :o It's an extraordinary claim! If there's a dealer on this Forum who will vouch for your profile, PM them and have them speak up here. There are certainly enough nationally-known dealers on this site that one of them must be a trading partner.
  • I really care little about anyone's opinion of my anonymous posts (LOL), but since you brought it up and are questioning my honesty, attached are just one month's stats from just one of my seven Ebay accounts. Note the staggering 7.6 million listing impressions and $10 million listed and sold. And that is just for ONE month from ONE account.

But do not be impressed. It ain't Bill Gates money. The entire coin business does less dollar volume in one year than Wall Street does in one minute.

And I deal in relatively low profit RARE coins. Dealers who sell modern coins have extremely high profit margins and some telemarket their way into hundreds of millions annually each, as per lawsuit allegations against several firms.
  • I am staggered that you think that "document" proves anything. No company name. Some may find a contradiction in someone with seven separate eBay accounts thinking anonymity increases their credibility.

$10M monthly = $120M

$120M x7 =$840M.

If you're only doing half that well, you're still the biggest in the industry after Heritage.
  • You did not read the screenshot. The $10 million is LISTED; only a fraction is actual sales. It also proves that I was singed into Ebay when I took the screenshot. I have no intention of giving my name to anyone on any anonymous thread. Perhaps you tell mistruths so you believe that everyone else does? What is your name and address, by the way? 
  • edited January 2022
    $10M listed and sold:'(
  • edited January 2022
    CACfan said:
    $10M listed and sold

:'(

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL
  • No, $10 million is listed but only a fraction actually sold. You are definitely not an Ebay seller or you would know that -- but you are a bully. Are you one of the litigious telemarketers whom I mentioned on another thread, hence your rage?

Again, what is YOUR name?