How would you price an eye appealing gold CAC 63…at 64, 64+, 65, etc money? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

How would you price an eye appealing gold CAC 63…at 64, 64+, 65, etc money?

Where would you price it…if and when it came time to sell?

Comments

• You’re trying to standardize something that doesn’t lend itself to that. Among other factors, the answer depends upon the type of coin and price levels/spreads for at least grades 63 through 65.
  • MarkFeld said:
    You’re trying to standardize something that doesn’t lend itself to that. Among other factors, the answer depends upon the type of coin and price levels/spreads for at least grades 63 through 65.
    This one….

• Now all I need to know is how I would grade it in hand and what I thought the consensus of experts would be.😉
  • MarkFeld said:
    Now all I need to know is how I would grade it in hand and what I thought the consensus of experts would be.😉
    🤦‍♂️ LOL
  • At least 65 or 65+ $$$.
  • By the way, sorry about the crappy cell phone pics. Wish I sent this one for professional quality imaging. 
  • Trick question :o
    Anyone who appreciates the date will throw out conventional pricing.

Fingernails and cuticles are worthy of mention o:)
  • edited January 2022

At least 65 or 65+ $$$.

Trick question..... >:)
    Most of the few 65's around are non-descript. Prettiness in 64 and 65 is more exceptional than for later dates.

I'm estimating @EarlyFederalCoinage at $6500. I'm at $5000. Only one of us will need financing :p

• ptolemyII said:

At least 65 or 65+ $$$.

Most of the few 65's around are non-descript. Prettiness in 64 and 65 is more exceptional than for later dates.

I'm estimating @EarlyFederalCoinage at $6500. I'm at $5000. Only one of us will need financing :p

If the coin is, in fact, worth MS65 money - I’m not claiming that it is - both of your estimates are too low.
  • MarkFeld said:

ptolemyII said:

At least 65 or 65+ $$$.

If the coin is, in fact, worth MS65 money - I’m not claiming that it is - both of your estimates are too low.
    I'm guilty of both $5000 and $6500, @EFC is at $9250+ and would pay $17,500 for a pretty CAC 65.

And none of us can grade from pictures. :#
  • People are willing to pay a very, very significant premium for anything with the CAC Gold Sticker. I'd auction it at GC. I'd bet you'd get MS 65 Price Guide value for it at least. Just my opinion though. Great looking coin by the way. Nice
  • Absolutely eye appealing high grade 50c, you should be paid what it is worth and in this case the grade on the holder should be either ignored or the starting point where in which you would add at least 2 + points based on the CAC sticks since I cannot grade form photos. CAC allows for a sight unseen sale and I believe it works well in this very case
  • It's a wonderful coin. And who doesn't love CAC gold? But the spread between 64 and 65 is so great I wouldn't pay 65 money for it.

Get it in a 65 holder and you'll do much, much better. From buyers with deeper pockets than mine.
    Lance.
  • lkeigwin said:

It's a wonderful coin. And who doesn't love CAC gold? But the spread between 64 and 65 is so great I wouldn't pay 65 money for it.

Get it in a 65 holder and you'll do much, much better. From buyers with deeper pockets than mine.
    Lance.

That’s an excellent illustration of what I was talking about when I posted “Among other factors, the answer depends upon the type of coin and price levels/spreads for at least grades 63 through 65.” In this case, if the spread between a 64 and a 65 were smaller, Lance (and other potential buyers) might have had a different answer.
  • edited January 2022
    @MarkFeld @lkeigwin @drddm

What would you grade the coin?

It looks better than MS64 to me. Without paying attention to varieties or price spreads, the coin looks gem to me.
  • @MarkFeld @lkeigwin @drddm

What would you grade the coin?

It looks better than MS64 to me. Without paying attention to varieties or price spreads, the coin looks gem to me.

Trying to be objective, despite knowing that the coin has a gold sticker...if I didn’t know that, I think I would have guessed 64 or 64+.
  • I would have a tough time deciding what to do, sure is nice to have the gold sticker on it! On the other hand it would be nice to have the correct grade labeled on the coin!

• ptolemyII said:

MarkFeld said:

ptolemyII said:

At least 65 or 65+ $$$.

I'm guilty of both $5000 and $6500, @EFC is at $9250+ and would pay $17,500 for a pretty CAC 65.

And none of us can grade from pictures. :#
    Not quite. The question was "Where would you price it…if and when it came time to sell?" What I'd pay, and what I'd sell it for as a retail transaction are two VERY different questions.
  • edited January 2022
    Since it happens to be my coin, I think it would probably grade 64+/65. I’m sorry I can’t pick just one grade. As for how I would price it IF I were to sell it outright, I’d probably pick a number between $8-10K. However, we’ve all heard some people go a little crazy when they see a gold sticker so I’d likely put it in an auction when the time comes to sell it and let the bidders decide what it’s worth. 
  • I've run into this conundrum. Personally, I would price it high enough that it felt almost ridiculous. That way only someone who REALLY want's it, would buy it. Then I would be happy with what I got out of it. If no one buys it, then I get to keep the beautiful coin. Guide at 64 is $5500, 64+ $6750 and 65 $15,000. If I did not need to sell it and really liked it, I'd ask $16,000 and would be happy if I got it. I might be willing to go down to $14,000, but for less than that, I'd keep it. But, that's just my opinion.