Compare Gardner 1853 W/A 10c PCGS/CAC OGH MS-68 vs Simpson 1853 W/A 10c PCGS/CAC MS-68+ — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Compare Gardner 1853 W/A 10c PCGS/CAC OGH MS-68 vs Simpson 1853 W/A 10c PCGS/CAC MS-68+

edited January 2022 in General
Gardner10c

Simpson 10c

Comments

• edited January 2022
    My personal taste prefers the eye appeal of Gerry’s Gardner’s Dime.
  • Both look to have been dipped and retoned. I’m not a super huge fan of either. Of the two, I prefer the Simpson coin.
  • Gardner much prettier 
  • Any more opinions?
  • Interesting... on my ipad both dimes are the same size. On my laptop, the Gardner dime is much larger.
  • I like them both. It is amazing that they are in such perfect condition. How did they survive for so many years and remain in
    MS 68 condition?
  • The Simpson dime’s mint frost and luster make it look much more than .5 points higher.  The OGH looks like a 67 bumped up for being pretty while the other seems like a coin the just couldn’t give a 69 too
  • Crypto said:

The Simpson dime’s mint frost and luster make it look much more than .5 points higher.  The OGH looks like a 67 bumped up for being pretty while the other seems like a coin the just couldn’t give a 69 too

The Simpson dime was once in an overgraded NGC MS-69 holder and crossed into a PCGS MS-68+ holder and then finally stickered by CAC.

A smart move to get the Simpson dime into a lower PCGS grade which allowed it to get the CAC sticker.

• edited February 2022
    It is actually conceivable that the Simpson dime is undipped. At the 1988 ANA Ed Milas brought a date run early 50's to mid-60's silver type. They had this look, which some think only comes from secondary or artificial toning. So did lots of others. I started looking at Stacks lots in 1973. Their '76 ANA had page after page of coins like this (and Gardner's) with one-line descriptions. This coin would very likely not have rated a photo even if glorious (which nothing else but the unTruview suggests).

Does anyone have another idea about the source of the three parallel horizontal "color shifts" on the upper cheek of "Simpson" that superficially suggest bag marks obscured by the deep red toning?

My observations having to do with unTruviews tending too red and/or too rich too often is demonstrated by "Simpson". Not intentionally, but this is the exemplar for "one toke over the line". The coin is not semi-PL. The date, both half-dime and dime, sometimes come with with a chalky white satin-granular surface, still quite pretty, but my surmise is that the Simpson blazer doesn't actually blaze "as hot" as the unTV.

Using the two HA slab images and assuming consistent lighting, the Gardner coin's visceral impact from that coin's luster, even with patterns some might not prefer, exceeds the Simpson coin when un-amped images are compared. Gene would likely have found the Simpson dime "boringly predictable". Kraft envelopes rather that Wayte Raymond album pages.

But I can't grade with "pitchers"

I'm sure there are 10 graders planet-wide who can work the 67+/68 line on silver type, but none from any graven image. :#
  • My opinions will follow
    ptolemyII said:

It is actually conceivable that the Simpson dime is undipped. At the 1988 ANA Ed Milas brought a date run early 50's to mid-60's silver type. They had this look, which some think only comes from secondary or artificial toning. So did lots of others. I started looking at Stacks lots in 1973. Their '76 ANA had page after page of coins like this (and Gardner's) with one-line descriptions. This coin would very likely not have rated a photo even if glorious (which nothing else but the unTruview suggests).

Does anyone have another idea about the source of the three parallel horizontal "color shifts" on the upper cheek of "Simpson" that superficially suggest bag marks obscured by the deep red toning?

My observations having to do with unTruviews tending too red and/or too rich too often is demonstrated by "Simpson". Not intentionally, but this is the exemplar for "one toke over the line". The coin is not semi-PL. The date, both half-dime and dime, sometimes come with with a granular chalky white granular surface, still quite pretty, but my surmise is that the Simpson blazer doesn't actually blaze "as hot" as the unTV.

Using the two HA slab images and assuming consistent lighting, the Gardner coin's visceral impact from that coin's luster, even with patterns some might not prefer, exceeds the Simpson coin when un-amped images are compared. Gene would likely have found the Simpson dime "boringly predictable". Kraft envelopes rather that Wayte Raymond album pages.

But I can't grade with "pitchers"

Even the two different photos... one of the coin vs one of the coin in the slab shows the dines differently.

• My opinion but keeping in mind, I might be slightly biased.

I bought the Gardner dime at the Heritage auction in 2014 and paid $22,900 plus change.

The Simpson dime just sold for $102,000 at Heritage several days ago.

The Simpson dime has wonderful toning contrast between ultra white fading to semi-deep toning near the upper obverse rim. It does have noticeable lower grade level chatter on the obverse cheek, breast, and leg but because of the exceptional luster and cameo luster effect still fully qualifies it as a CAC acceptable net graded MS-68.

The Gardner dime which was purchased by Joseph O’ Conner who was successful in winning the Heritage Auction in October 2001 when I was paying more attention to the aftermath of 9-11 than to coins. He then sold it to Gardner. I closely followed both the Simpson and the Gardner dimes thereafter and saw both in person.

The Gardner dime also has amazing mint luster but the toning does obscure it a bit in photos. In person tge mint luster is very apparent. However, this dime is much more free of any chatter whatsoever and is a perfect MS-68 instead of a net graded MS-68.

As to whether either or both dines were once dipped and later retoned, my only reply is that if so, they were done with great care and preserved very carefully.

Choosing one vs the other dime is really a matter of personal preference.

I must say that I like my $22,900 plus price much more than the $102,000 price!
  • Hard to judge luster of Gardner from photo but I prefer the toning of the Gardner coin.
  • breakdown said:

Hard to judge luster of Gardner from photo but I prefer the toning of the Gardner coin.

Agreed. Only tilting the coin back and forth in-person will display the luster of the Gardner dime which is underneath the toning.
  • edited January 2022
    I’ll take the Gardner- to whom do I make out the $22,900 check?
  • I’ll take the Gardner- to whom do I make out the $22,900 check?

LOL, The Simpson coin ruined the $22,900 pricing.
  • You can yell at Simpson’s ex-wife!
  • Haha that’s true- but she may shake loose some other coins I’m interested in, so……
  • Coin prices sure are changing! I  was way out bid  on the coin that I wanted at that HA auction.
  • Pretty crazy across the board- very strong prices, higher than anyone truly expected I believe. But it’s cyclical, and things will get back to normal sooner or later. Good time to be a seller- time to take some profits! 
  • When prices settle down, and get back to normal, will prices end up slightly higher than before?  A little or substantially more? That is what I wonder about.....