Don't you wish CAC accepted the old small white ANACS holders? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Don't you wish CAC accepted the old small white ANACS holders?

I've owned a lot of beautiful coins in the old small white ANACS holders. I've so often wished that CAC would accept them for review. I think they look so much better in those small white holders, than the current PCGS or NGC holders. What do you guys think? any chance of opening up submissions to include ANACS, but limited to the small white holders? A guy can dream can't he?

Imagine if this...

Had this...

Comments

• Yes, that would be great - I have a number of PL gold coins in old ANACS holders like this
  • Best holder ever.
    Lance.
  • I would love that.
  • Yes. I’ve unfortunately sacrificed many over the years. If CAC would sticker those, there might be less pressure to cross them to PCGS.
  • lkeigwin said:

Best holder ever.
    Lance.

I agree! I'd buy a lot more if I could get them submitted in the holder. I just don't have the heart to crack them out to try and cross.

I even bought a bunch of the BCW holders and inserts to hold my raw coins. They are the same size and remind me a lot of those old holders. I just wish their inserts were a little better. The nickel inserts I got are just a bit too thick, so the plastic case won't close all the way. But they sure look nice when I go through them.

• i think it might be too late to do that. The remaining ANACS slabs have morphed into a collectible in itself or are inferior rejects.
  • The only clean Stone Mountain I could find was in one.

• I know that the consensus reason that they chose not to was the low success rate. But given that the fees have gone up, it might be financially possible to accept ANACS holders, but stipulate that they could only be submitted on Dealer accounts so that CAC was guaranteed a fee on every coin submitted.
  • There needs to be a certification service to certify the anacs grade. 
  • I know that the consensus reason that they chose not to was the low success rate. But given that the fees have gone up, it might be financially possible to accept ANACS holders, but stipulate that they could only be submitted on Dealer accounts so that CAC was guaranteed a fee on every coin submitted.

I think that the consensus for all ANACS holders and not just the small white ones. Another issue possibly at play here, I don't think ANACS guarantees the grades in the small white holders. If not, then that may possibly be a reason why the small holders cannot be submitted to CAC.

As far as opening submissions up to ALL ANACS holders with low success rates, they can charge for all ANACS submissions regardless of success or denial. That could be applied to all submitters regardless if they are collector or dealer submitters. It would simply be an accounting adjustment. Collector submitters already cover grading fees for all coins submitted and simply get a refund for the coins that do not pass. If I was told that I would have to pay for all ANACS coins submitted, whether they passed or not, would not affect my submission.
  • edited January 2022
    CAC decided long ago that it only wanted to trade in PCGS and NGC coins. They already had and continue to have a large trading base.

ANACS coins are now more like fetish objects, a less extreme form of madness than "NGC black". How many $750 ANACS coins have you seen in the past 5 years?

You might use the HA archives and find that out, and likely anything else you'd need to evaluate the situation, and quite easily too. My take is that the higher the grade and/or value of the coin might be, the less the holder or grade is considered. There is NO market domain that accepts their grades.

Crackamundo omnia cloaca non est.
  • Does ANACS have a credible pop report?  That would make a difference to me.
  • Yes, ANACS has a free pop report on their website. When I’ve crossed over several of my ANACS old holder coins, they usually upgrade by a point. So maybe they would get gold CAC stickers!
  • I can only wish they would allow only the old white small holders, they are so deserving, that would be wonderful, there are so many great ones entombed in them.......I really don't understand why they don't. I agree then less would be cracked out and then they would survive through the ages.
  • Realone said:

I can only wish they would allow only the old white small holders, they are so deserving, that would be wonderful, there are so many great ones entombed in them.......I really don't understand why they don't. I agree then less would be cracked out and then they would survive through the ages.

This is why I wish they could be submitted. Just to help preserve the history of them. I know some people would still crack them and cross them. But, I think more people would actually collect them and preserve them.
  • I think you can still own them. Even without the stickers.
    ;)
  • I for one enjoy that they don’t. It allows a little more chance at buying old school undergraded coins for good value instead of being maximized in retail. 
  • Here's my vote:

• I even took one of my ANACS slabbed 1955 DDO cent in MS-60 to JA nearly 10 years ago to ask his opinion on trying to get it into a PCGS holder. He liked it very much and suggested that he would green sticker it in the same MS-60 grade with PCGS.

PCGS would only grade it AU-58. Instead of being upset, I rejoiced the possible outcome.
    True to his word, JA gold stickered the AU-58 cent.

I learned quickly to try to get as many undergraded PCGS coins so I could maximize as many gold stickered slabs as possible.
    Most collectors thought I was nuts at the time but ultimately I may have been proven right in my thinking.
  • lkeigwin said:

Best holder ever.
    Lance.

I agree about the holder. The grades I have seen over the years seemed a bit over-graded. At least the ones I owned.

Of course there are exceptions.