Here's some of my favorite things I like to do involving coins... — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Here's some of my favorite things I like to do involving coins...

Looking at fresh old time collections as they come into the shop.

Grading and CAC results! Duh!

Having a group of ultra rare coins in hand and discussing with other like minded numismatists

Teaching a YN something about coins they've never heard before and watching them "get it"

Buying cool coins - the hunt and thrill never ends.

Listening to other collectors tell me about what they are into. Thats how I learn.

Zoning out on a neat coin and just studying and appreciating it. No noise. Just me and the coin's history.

What about you?

Comments

• My wife loves coin stories. She's not a collector but she's heard me talk a lot.

Sometimes when I'm driving on a long trip she'll ask me things. "How did the 1955 DDO happen? Was no one paying attention?" "How could a 1913 Liberty nickel even happen? Sounds like a scam." "Why is an 1804 dollar so special if it wasn't minted in 1804?"

I don't even know what to say.
    Lance.
  • When I have some coins out of the safe deposit box I'll lay them out in "pages" of 20 (or 16 in the case of Ikes). Ironically the worst coin here, still a placeholder for me, is the lone cac coin. Most of the others were obtained before there was cac.

• Not in this order but I enjoy:

Watching @Seth_WitterCoin videos and viewing the gold coins on your site. I have bought a few through Luis and saw a couple but they sold too fast (that 65+ CAC 1932 $10 was great).

I like reading the Legend reports (though I sometimes forget to make my weekly visit).

Talking with dealers at shows and seeing what is out there (Central States and then ANA are coming up)

Bidding on auctions (been very hard to win CAC gold lately - too many dealers buying it all up)

Messaging with PCGS forum Daniel Carr collectors.

and not worrying about making money on my hobby.
  • I love meeting up with fellow SLD collectors and doing show and tells with our collections. I enjoy talking SLDs on the phone with all my friends all over the country. I get a lot of pleasure finding coins that my buddies need to help grow their collections. I also enjoy Seth’s videos , Legends hot topics/ market reports and looking through old auction archives of SLDs. I can only dream about owning. I really like looking through my coins and thinking about the history that each piece could have been involved in.
  • edited March 2022
    Legend market reports.

coin videos including Seth’s. 

Spending a block of time on CoinFacts (never enough time for this to happen)

Doug Winter’s site - just about everything on there. 

SDB visits when I am not in a rush.

Messaging with friends on forums.  
  • SeatedNut said:
    I love meeting up with fellow SLD collectors and doing show and tells with our collections. I enjoy talking SLDs on the phone with all my friends all over the country. I get a lot of pleasure finding coins that my buddies need to help grow their collections. I also enjoy Seth’s videos , Legends hot topics/ market reports and looking through old auction archives of SLDs. I can only dream about owning. I really like looking through my coins and thinking about the history that each piece could have been involved in.
    I am also a member of the  Liberty Seated Collectors club. There is a ton of knowledge within the members and I very much enjoy learning from them!
  • Attending winter FUN with friends is the ultimate hobby experience for me.

The next coin I buy (whatever that happens to be) is next in line!
  • Hiding them from her.
  • Varieties are fun to find!

Finding coins that will cac when I submit them!

I enjoy telling my Dealer information that I have learned from this CAC forum!
  • Learning something new about a set I have been trying to collect.

Conversing with honest, passionate, collectors that make every attempt to help each other out in their goals.

Getting a new coin/new purchase in the mail from an auction purchase

Auction lot viewing at a national show

Pulling coins out of safety deposit box after a long time and reviewing them like it is the first time seeing them

Finding a non-CAC coin and submitting to JA and "having it bean"

Finding a super rare coin/date/mint that has awesome color and eye appeal.
  • I like to learn something about every coin, token or medal in my collection. It does not matter if it's common or rare. If it has some interesting facts surrounding it, you have my attention.
  • When I have some coins out of the safe deposit box I'll lay them out in "pages" of 20 (or 16 in the case of Ikes). Ironically the worst coin here, still a placeholder for me, is the lone cac coin. Most of the others were obtained before there was cac.
    Why not send the others in too?
  • Are you going to pay the fees/shipping for me?! I have no plans to sell and if the day comes that I do want to sell, who knows what grading standards/processes/stickers would be needed to maximize value at that point. It may be a whole new system.
  • Not in this order but I enjoy:

Watching @Seth_WitterCoin videos and viewing the gold coins on your site. I have bought a few through Luis and saw a couple but they sold too fast (that 65+ CAC 1932 $10 was great).

I like reading the Legend reports (though I sometimes forget to make my weekly visit).

Talking with dealers at shows and seeing what is out there (Central States and then ANA are coming up)

Bidding on auctions (been very hard to win CAC gold lately - too many dealers buying it all up)

Messaging with PCGS forum Daniel Carr collectors.

and not worrying about making money on my hobby.

@pcgscacgold have you met Dan in person? My first chance to chat with him was ANA Summer Seminar 2019. I took the Modern Minting Process class and as a field trip we went up to Loveland to visit Dan and his Mint. Struck some tokens on the Grabner press up there and got to chat about a bunch of different stuff. He's an awesome person to know. Sometime if I find the photo of him and I, I'll post it here! The phone camera roll is full of coins, so it'll be a fun challenge to dig for!
  • @Seth_WitterCoin is it just me or are there others here that live for the day that the CAC account dashboard tells you how many coins stickered (before getting results)? For me its like Christmas Eve, going to bed knowing when I wake up the next morning I'll get to see the results one by one.

Currently about to get results (hopefully tomorrow, fingers crossed) on what should be the best sub I've sent in in the couple years I've been a member!
  • Love getting new coins in the P.O. Box obviously. Duh!!

Planning and saving for my next big purchase/bidding at auction

Spreading all my coins out on the desk and examining them front and back with good light and my magnifier

Adding up the total value of all my coins

Watching coins identical to mine in date and grade go at auction for more than I paid for mine. LOL

Learning all I can from people with more experience than me, which is almost everyone here.

Watching Ben the Coin Geek on YouTube.

And so much more, too numerous to list here. My wife thinks I've gone nuts. All I think about anymore is coins, coins, coins. I've got the bug so bad. Sometimes it
    nearly torments me. Patience has never been my strong suit. My application to CAC was approved and my welcome kit is supposed to be mailed "on or about" March 28th. I have exactly 5 coins to submit. All the rest already have CAC. I'm really excited about my first submission.
  • Good luck on your 1st submission!

• vamsplus said:
    Not in this order but I enjoy: Watching @Seth_WitterCoin videos and viewing the gold coins on your site. I have bought a few through Luis and saw a couple but they sold too fast (that 65+ CAC 1932 $10 was great). I like reading the Legend reports (though I sometimes forget to make my weekly visit). Talking with dealers at shows and seeing what is out there (Central States and then ANA are coming up) Bidding on auctions (been very hard to win CAC gold lately - too many dealers buying it all up) Messaging with PCGS forum Daniel Carr collectors. and not worrying about making money on my hobby.
    @pcgscacgold have you met Dan in person? My first chance to chat with him was ANA Summer Seminar 2019. I took the Modern Minting Process class and as a field trip we went up to Loveland to visit Dan and his Mint. Struck some tokens on the Grabner press up there and got to chat about a bunch of different stuff. He's an awesome person to know. Sometime if I find the photo of him and I, I'll post it here! The phone camera roll is full of coins, so it'll be a fun challenge to dig for!
    No I have not met Dan Carr. I started collecting his tokens after last summers ANA in Chicago. If he travels to this year’s August show I will definitely stop to see him. My collection has exploded in 6 months even with 9 coins being stolen by a UPS employee when some very rare items were coming home from ANACS. I had an empty box handed to me by the driver. 
  • edited March 2022
    I like on the rare occasion, when I have several numismatic irons in the fire at once.
    Shows, purchases, organizing collection, submissions, auction prep...

• Well, since you asked this question I like the fact that most large US coin dealers ( like those on this site ) DO NOT deal in world coins.......which allows me to buy wonderful crowns and classic foreign gold at auction unchallenged from dealers like yourself.