CAC and Jefferson Nickels — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

CAC and Jefferson Nickels

Does anybody know the official reason why  CAC doesn’t grade Jefferson Nickels as their are a few dates in the 1930’s as well as many in the 1940’s, yet they grade Washington quarters.

Comments

• I think the original reason given was that the Jeff and Roosie markets were too thin for CAC to make a market in them. As a collector of those.... shh... don't give them ideas.
  • Jeffersons could end in 1964 like the Washingtons. On the other hand, aren't they busy enough?
  • mcpix said:
    Jeffersons could end in 1964 like the Washingtons. On the other hand, aren't they busy enough?
    Was just wondering as I don’t collect Jefferson’s and have no stake in wether they ever grade them 
  • I was always curious about the WW2 nickels and find the history behind them pretty cool!
  • The only Washington quarters I have are the 2004 high leaf and low leaf. I had quite a few and made pretty good money off them. I still have a few.
  • I'm sure most Jefferson collectors look forward to that happening one day.
  • Here’s a fun Jeff with a bean for you 🙂
  • CAC does accept some Jefferson nickels:

1938-1942 proofs
    1939 DDO-1
    1943/2
    1949-D/S

Most of the other dates are too common for finicky CAC to accept. Of the accepted ones, I only like the 1949-D/S. My MS66 CAC's sold like hotcakes at any reasonable price but my MS67's were rejected by CAC and extremely difficult to move for a profit, which is no surprise given the enormous price difference between those two grades.