Bourse fees, show exiting on Sat, shop robberies — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Bourse fees, show exiting on Sat, shop robberies

edited May 2022 in Industry
I’m told that major show bourse fees are increasing- 1st was CS, now FUN bourse fees
in Jan scheduled to rise dramatically. I understand the CSNS show saw massive early Saturday bourse table exits despite heavy public attendance. This was doubtless
due to heavy flight cancellations resulting from storms / tornadoes. As erratic & massive area
weather increases across the country, this early bourse exit will become unfortunately quite widespread . I hear longtime much-loved San Jose coin dealer Sal Falcone ( now in his early 80’s) had his shop invaded by several Gun toting hooded robbers a few days ago & another CA coin dealer’s shop was also robbed at gunpoint. Seems the punks are graduating from “ smash & grab “. We all know a longtime Albuq, NM coin dealer who
has engaged in gun fights over a series of 7-8
armed shop robberies. Solution ( aside from arming oneself) is voting wisely in all elections

Comments

• mellado said:

I’m told that major show bourse fees are increasing- 1st was CS, now FUN bourse fees
    in Jan scheduled to rise dramatically. I understand the CSNS show saw massive early Saturday bourse table exits despite heavy public attendance. This was doubtless
    due to heavy flight cancellations resulting from storms / tornadoes. As erratic & massive area
    weather increases across the country, this early bourse exit will become unfortunately quite widespread .

I don't find higher bourse fees unsurprising or see them as a problem. Maybe only twice as high as when I started setting up at shows in the late 70's makes them seem like a bargain to me. On the other hand, there are ways to tweak prices and table assignment rules that would be beneficial to almost everyone. We'll let that be a subject for another thread one day.

BTW, I was scheduled for a 6PM flight Saturday night leaving CSNS. I switched to a 2PM at the last minute due to incoming weather. Good thing I did, since the 6PM ended up getting canceled. Dodged a bullet!
  • I live in a violent big city and have thought about opening a retail store in addition to maintaining my current online stores. If I ever do so, I will use the same bullet-resistant glass used at other local businesses. The entire employee area and all showcases would be protected by it.

The openings in the glass would be too small for a gun barrel to fit through them.

An 80-something dealer in gang-infested California should take the same precautions. Not doing so would be another robbery waiting to happen.
  • After an armed robbery, I changed my shop layout.
    I put myself behind bars and left the lobby open to public entry.
    Crooks don't like being surprised by someone walking in behind them.
    My buzzer door just gave my robbers privacy.
    Buzzer door went away fast!
  • Pyrite said:

After an armed robbery, I changed my shop layout.
    I put myself behind bars and left the lobby open to public entry.
    Crooks don't like being surprised by someone walking in behind them.
    My buzzer door just gave my robbers privacy.
    Buzzer door went away fast!

I am sorry to read about your robbery. Why not also use bullet-resistant glass? A gun barrel can fit through bars.
  • That's true. I felt glass between me and customers would not create the ambience I wanted.
    I also moved the safe with its back to the front and behind the cases and was never too far to duck behind it.
    I was also armed. Even during the robbery.
    But..... when they "got the drop on ya" you can't get to it easily. :/
  • Legend deeply regrets leaving CSNS Friday evening. I think auction co stayed. Our armed guards only pick up at a certain time. We are looking into changing this situation. We sincerely apologize. I know a few dealers were there sat and yes indeed they sold coins to the public-more then they expected.

Keep in mind, while CSNS was that good, it was its first time in 2 years. We'll see how shows go from now on. All the first time backs are done.

We are in a secure building with the police station across the street. That's always helpful. We do not advertise for the public locally. That always scared me. God bless you coin shop owners!
  • Pyrite said:

That's true. I felt glass between me and customers would not create the ambience I wanted.
    I also moved the safe with its back to the front and behind the cases and was never too far to duck behind it.
    I was also armed. Even during the robbery.
    But..... when they "got the drop on ya" you can't get to it easily. :/

Ideas (WARNING: Some Are Graphic):

Install a small enclosure with smoked glass and post signs stating that an armed guard is present inside and the glass is bulletproof (even if it is not). Inside of the enclosure, play a recording of someone making noise. You can use a remote controlled audio player so that you do not have to listen to it when nobody else is present.

Post signs stating that the FBI will investigate all robberies because you conduct interstate business.

Other signs could note that you have relatives who are cops. Verbally stating this has gotten me out of trouble. I have no problem lying to criminals, of which there are many in my violent big city.

Keep large cans of tear gas accessible around the store, hidden from view of course. Not pepper spray, which is not nearly as potent in my experience. These will be extremely effective against robbers if no guns are present. I know this from firsthand experience. It also works incredibly well on attacking dogs (again, personal experience).

Use anything for a weapon. A can of Raid, a handful of rocks, bleach, a golf club, a baseball bat, or even your fists. Again, I speak from actual experience.

Feel free to use a knife if deadly force is warranted. Aim for the nearest opening in the head. Do it to him before he does it to you.

You could also pull a "CIA": use a pen to deeply stab the robber in the eye.

For god's sake, wear body armor. There are inexpensive, light T-shirts available that will stop the pea shooters used by most robbers, the majority of whom are drug addicts who buy the cheapest (and thus least powerful) guns available.

If you do use deadly force, contact a criminal defense attorney before you utter a sound to the police, other than to say that the dead/injured suspect just tried to rob you.

• @CACfan,
    Did all of these "personal experiences" occur at a Popeyes?
  • Nic said:

@CACfan,
    Did all of these "personal experiences" occur at a Popeyes?

No, at your house.