Did I buy the wrong ms66+ cac 1935-s Walker? Which one do you like better? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Did I buy the wrong ms66+ cac 1935-s Walker? Which one do you like better?

I'll reveal which one I purchased in a bit.

Comments

• edited May 2022
    From photos only it is a matter of preference. They are both decent looking walkers. The toned one has a weaker reverse strike but looks to be more free of chatter but does have a big bag mark on the face of Liberty on the obverse.

The white walker does have a very nice strike on the reverse but does have chatter in the fields of the reverse…. on the obverse, a noticeable die abrasion in the skirt plus a possible toning dot or additional die abrasion on the I (edited… sorry I meant the N) of the “In God We Trust” and less significant die striations in the open fields. On the other hand, the toned walker appears to have bag marks in the dreaded obverse open fields.

All in all, you can pick apart or praise either coin but not a substitute for viewing in person.

• When I was collecting high grade Walkers (before I ventured to the gold world) I would have been a buyer of the bottom coin. Great strike, luster bomb, blast white.
  • Based on the images, I don’t think either coin would be the “wrong” one.
  • I like them both, but would be a buyer of the first one if choosing.
  • I like them both, but would be a buyer of the first one if choosing.

I’d buy the second one, as it’s so much easier to see the detail of this gorgeous design.
  • edited May 2022
    They both might be stickered. If that's the case, you were wrong not to buy both. >:) :#

Collecting for fun? You're already happy :D If you bought either them based solely on the Untrueviews and are happy in hand, you scored. :)

If you collect Seated, you picked coin #1
    If you collect Barbers, you went with the latter.

2:1 odds in favor in either direction ;)
  • Well, all my (later date) Walkers must meet a minimum standard of strike and quality (basically ms66+ or better). The 35-s was the top coin on my want list (as I already have a 35-d, 40-s, 44-s etc). I dismissed the first one due to strike just not quite being there. Of course I didn't see it in hand though, and because of the tone this may be a case where the strike looks better in hand. Also thought it may be subdued a bit too much for me with neutral at best tone. It sold for $9700 in May 2021 and was shortly auctioned again and only got $7344 in Oct 2021.

Coin 2 first showed up on Collector's corner Dec 2021 at $8500 under Legend numismatics. It had "new" and the current date but I didn't see it on Legend's website. I called them and they said it already sold. Crud I thought! Now on the other hand I had actually already looked at the "watch list previews" on Legend auctions site for the late Jan auction and there was nothing good. They should not send out those watch list emails until ALL coins are listed however. I may have not gone to Legend auctions site again in Jan but somehow randomly did and found the 35-s now for auction! Kind of annoying that I couldn't have bought it directly and now had to risk paying more. I also considered that the strike may not be good enough for me! But decided passing may be a huge mistake as extremely few 35-s Walkers are better. I think one of the ms67s (which I can't afford) is better struck and that may be it at the 66+ or better level. Anyway, I did have to pay more, about $10,500 which is the most I've ever paid for a single coin.

So of course i'm very happy with the coin. It's very bright but frosty so not quite blazing like a later P mint. I bet the luster of both coins are pretty similar actually. It's got the one scratch on the hip and a few other very light more hidden scratches. I have no problem with the graze on IN GOD and near the eagle's beak. They look worse in the photo. The Legend description of 66+++ seems accurate but the scratches may be grade limiter. The first one however does look pretty darn clean. I just noticed it now sits in a pop 5/0 ms67 holder. So maybe I bought the wrong one but I have no plans to submit mine as it's staying in my collection irregardless. Oh well.
  • Actually, another mini "bad beat" is then in Feb DLRC auctioned this ms66 with a tremendous strike

https://davidlawrence.com/product/2354251/

I did not think a strike that nice existed on a 35-s. It's only ms66 non-cac so probably wouldn't quite meet my overall quality standard. If I was truly trying to get the best struck coin for every date then that would have been a no-brainer. Whoever got that one is one lucky collector. I also just had to pass on a virtually fully struck 39-d and 39-s (partly due to lack of funds). Even though those aren't known as strike rarities finding ones with all branch and hand detail is still darn rare.

• Well, all my (later date) Walkers must meet a minimum standard of strike and quality (basically ms66+ or better). The 35-s was the top coin on my want list (as I already have a 35-d, 40-s, 44-s etc). I dismissed the first one due to strike just not quite being there. Of course I didn't see it in hand though, and because of the tone this may be a case where the strike looks better in hand. Also thought it may be subdued a bit too much for me with neutral at best tone. It sold for $9700 in May 2021 and was shortly auctioned again and only got $7344 in Oct 2021.

Coin 2 first showed up on Collector's corner Dec 2021 at $8500 under Legend numismatics. It had "new" and the current date but I didn't see it on Legend's website. I called them and they said it already sold. Crud I thought! Now on the other hand I had actually already looked at the "watch list previews" on Legend auctions site for the late Jan auction and there was nothing good. They should not send out those watch list emails until ALL coins are listed however. I may have not gone to Legend auctions site again in Jan but somehow randomly did and found the 35-s now for auction! Kind of annoying that I couldn't have bought it directly and now had to risk paying more. I also considered that the strike may not be good enough for me! But decided passing may be a huge mistake as extremely few 35-s Walkers are better. I think one of the ms67s (which I can't afford) is better struck and that may be it at the 66+ or better level. Anyway, I did have to pay more, about $10,500 which is the most I've ever paid for a single coin.

So of course i'm very happy with the coin. It's very bright but frosty so not quite blazing like a later P mint. I bet the luster of both coins are pretty similar actually. It's got the one scratch on the hip and a few other very light more hidden scratches. I have no problem with the graze on IN GOD and near the eagle's beak. They look worse in the photo. The Legend description of 66+++ seems accurate but the scratches may be grade limiter. The first one however does look pretty darn clean. I just noticed it now sits in a pop 5/0 ms67 holder. So maybe I bought the wrong one but I have no plans to submit mine as it's staying in my collection irregardless. Oh well.

Thanks for the background information. It added considerably to this thread.
  • edited May 2022
    I like these coins a lot .    The bottom one does show the coin nicely as WineSteven has said .   But the top coin is a nicer coin in my opinion .   As of late I’m actually starting to like coins that exhibit , let me call it patina .   Aside from toning , I’m talking about copper spots and other marks as long as they’re not unsightly .

I’d have preferred to buy the Top coin 

edited :  I now see you have already answered and bought the second coin    
    Absolutely beautiful!!!  Congratulations