Will it CAC? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Will it CAC?

This gorgeous Seated Half is currently in the mail on its way for JA to evaluate. I present it to the forum for evaluations here... freshly graded. Will it bean? Why or why not?

Results to be posted when it comes back.

Tagged:

Comments

• The lighter areas around the eagle cause me to think the coin has been cleaned. And if so, it might be too noticeable for the coin to sticker.
  • MarkFeld said:

The lighter areas around the eagle cause me to think the coin has been cleaned. And if so, it might be too noticeable for the coin to sticker.

You do make a good point. I don't believe the lighter areas are cleaning, but as it's a mid-VF there's potential for an old cleaning at some point. I do think the TVs are extremely brown in color as opposed to the actual coin, saying as such my in-hand photos are more closer to its actual color. I should've used my light box for photos before sending it to get the best true-color pics, but alas, we will have to wait and see.
  • MarkFeld said:

The lighter areas around the eagle cause me to think the coin has been cleaned. And if so, it might be too noticeable for the coin to sticker.

This was my first thought as well. But this is well outside my field of focus so…. I do find the obverse attractive.
  • Very nice coin, good with grade, but I'd say no. I think LIBERTY should be sharper on obverse and some of the hits on the face, although minor, shouldn't be on an A or B coin. Would also think the feathers would have more detail.
  • Whenever a 151-year-old coin lacks the dirt and grime that it should have accumulated over those 1.51 centuries, it is safe to say that it has been doctored. Maybe not cleaned with an actual liquid, but at least wiped and thus not acceptable to CAC.
  • edited May 2022
  • edited May 2022
    It is a close call. I would send it to CAC and think the odds for a sticker to be good. I like the original  look of it.
      However, I am not familiar with the 1871 s enough to know how it should look for the grade.

• ratpelt said:

@CACfan said:
    Whenever a 151-year-old coin lacks the dirt and grime that it should have accumulated over those 1.51 centuries, it is safe to say that it has been doctored. Maybe not cleaned with an actual liquid, but at least wiped and thus not acceptable to CAC.

You must mean coins like these:

You wrongly believe that a CAC coin has never been conserved>
  • edited May 2022
  • I have some that have obvious old cleanings that have a bean. 
  • I think for sure Dansco would accept it.
    ;)
  • I'm gonna bet that it will. I'm far from an expert though, but it''s just a gut feeling. Looks good to me for a VF30 and just because it's been conserved at some point doesn't automatically exclude it. Looking forward to the results. GOOD LUCK
  • All those that doubted, I’ll give you benefit of the doubt because you haven’t seen it in hand. Here she is!
  • Very nice. Would love that coin in my collection. Good eye.
  • At least your fingernails are not dirty!
  • oreville said:
    At least your fingernails are not dirty!
    They were conserved.
  • CONGRATRULATIONS!!
  • WilliamJ said:
    oreville said:
    They were conserved.
     :D  :D :D
  • oreville said:
    @WilliamJ is correct - the fingernails were conserved the day before this photo was taken. :wink:
  • ratpelt said:
    Very nice. Would love that coin in my collection. Good eye.
    Thank you @ratpelt ! When I saw the coin I had to have it and knew it had a very good shot with JA.