Help me refine my understanding — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Help me refine my understanding

This coin shows a haze on the high points of the devices. It is a very light tan color. It does not come off in acetone, but does in dip. Is this from storage in s paper product a long time ago, or something else?  Does it preclude a bean?  There is nice luster and nice color underneath. Thanks. 

Comments

• What coin are you asking about?
  • Sorry, it was a late night…
  • edited June 2022
    If that picture is after a Jewel-Luster dip, consider it an environmentally damaged train wreck. :s Likely from an envelope, too much of its damage has been damaged yet again to do much but speculate beyond that.

I will save @oreville the trouble of mentioning the Forum's totally unofficial fingernail hygiene maintenance policy. >:)
  • ptolemyII said:

If that picture is after a Jewel-Luster dip, consider it an environmentally damaged train wreck. :s Likely from an envelope, too much of its damage has been damaged yet again to do much but speculate beyond that.

I will save @oreville the trouble of mentioning the Forum's totally unofficial fingernail hygiene maintenance policy. >:)

I had put down 4 yards of black mulch in the garden beds earlier in the day. That is as clean as they get until dye wears away. As indicated in the post, this will come off with dip, but not acetone.

This coin has only had an acetone soak. I am thinking envelope, or Raymond Wayte type holder? But does CAC consider it toning, or damage…
  • edited June 2022
    Major edit June 3rd

Have you tried boiling water and/or an ultrasonic to loosen the imbedded particles?
    No archeologist would do more than speculate about what's beneath that grime. Unfair question from the git-go ;)

Will it CAC? Considering how little John Albanese knows about color, if you can actually get it into the right holder, then of course it's worth a try. >:)
  • ptolemyII said:

Am I understanding correctly that the coin was in the black mulch for less than 24 hours. If you know the time-frame, I think it a safe assumption you put it there. What did it look like before that?

If that's, as you insist, fully intact toning, albeit still obscured by imbedded particles from the black mulch, it's downright ugly in both pattern and color itself.... No bean for you!

Post the post-dip coin and the name of your mulch so its ingredients may be referenced.

I thought he was talking about his fingernails.
  • Can't be sure from a photo (boy, is that line rote!), but looks to be at least some kind of plasticizer, possibly whatever the stuff is that gets on a coin after long term storage in a poly-bag. 30-40n yrs ago poly bags were widely thought to be ideal for storage but IIRC even PCGS put out a kind public service announcement, stating that submitting coins for grading in polybags (especially proofs) is not ideal when turn around times are lengthy.

That poly residue would come off with urea dips but not acetone...
  • edited June 2022
    Black mulch .... composting strategies as a factor in coin colorations. "More things between Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophies" Good grief!! :o
  • edited June 2022

• I had a friend who got a proof walker and dipped it halfway!
    Not smart. :o
    We were noobs.
    That half never lost the dipline.
  • edited June 2022

Can't be sure from a photo (boy, is that line rote!), but looks to be at least some kind of plasticizer, possibly whatever the stuff is that gets on a coin after long term storage in a poly-bag. 30-40n yrs ago poly bags were widely thought to be ideal for storage but IIRC even PCGS put out a kind public service announcement, stating that submitting coins for grading in polybags (especially proofs) is not ideal when turn around times are lengthy.

That poly residue would come off with urea dips but not acetone...

Doesn't necessarily change your supposition, but I'm remembering that issue as being about PVC (polyvinylchloride)-softened plastic flips rather that polyethylene bags.
  • It is a lowly Washington quarter. Unless it is a 1932-D that grades at least MS65, who cares?

• CACfan said:

It is a lowly Washington quarter. Unless it is a 1932-D that grades at least MS65, who cares?

Apparently, the person who started the thread does. And since it’s likely a storage issue, that wouldn’t be the only coin affected and many other people would care, as well.
  • CACfan said:
    It is a lowly Washington quarter. Unless it is a 1932-D that grades at least MS65, who cares?

I’d care even if it were a 1942 D !!!!

Personally I respect all collectors and all collections equally.  I enjoy seeing a youngster with a Warman’s book of National Park Quarters and would enjoy talking with them ( and in their excitement) as much as I would chatting with a collector with a complete book of Morgan Silver Dollars !!

That applies to everything in life .   From the guy on a mini bike who rolls up to my R1250 GS Adventure , to a Private First Class or a 4 Star . 
  • edited June 2022
    This is close to a "parking lot find" as has shown up around here since we opened. :p
  • Since the question was about the condition and causes, not the coin, most correctly deduced that the coin, itself, wasn't the topic. Most.
  • Since the question was about the condition and causes, not the coin, most correctly deduced that the coin, itself, wasn't the topic. Most.

I know you don’t mean me because I was talking to cacfan about his comment and not at all about your OP. 

I know you don’t mean me because I was talking to cacfan about his comment and not at all about your OP. 

Nope, not you. No worries.
  • The first poster answered your question. He is very knowledgeable about the appearance of both coins and hands.

What you call "haze" is actually an oxidized surface that is not affected by acetone. Dipping the coin in an acidic dip as your second step insured the coin cannot be saved. Acid dips are saved for the last step of conservation when the coin is ready if they are needed at all. ;)
  • The "first poster" comment in reply to the OP was:

"What coin are you asking about?".
    However, he is very knowledgeable about the appearance of both coins. Hands I don't know. Maybe....

BTW, "if" is not a definitive answer. That is sort of like opining 2 months after the question.