Help understanding PL/DMPL and rainbow toners please — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Help understanding PL/DMPL and rainbow toners please

This new monster toned Morgan is so pretty I am definitely happy with my purchase. It's the one I was seeking help on naming it.

When looking at the coin's surfaces it looks to me like it would easily be a PL but the NT makes the fields less 'mirror' reflective. The luster is amazing but it just does not reflect clearly enough. This is a MS66 CAC'd coin, by the way.

Essentially, it seems like it's one or the other. The monster toning precludes a PL in almost all cases. Thoughts? Experiences?

I would love some feedback and knowledge from the community. Thanks!

Comments

• As you’re aware, in many instances, toning is deep enough to preclude a PL or DMPL designation. However, there are more than enough toned examples out there, such that many coins have still justifiably received those designations. So I wouldn’t describe it as “one or the other” “in almost all cases”.
  • As you're aware, in many instances, toning is deep enough to preclude analysis without a picture of the coin o:)
  • edited June 2022
    MarkFeld said:

As you’re aware, in many instances, toning is deep enough to preclude a PL or DMPL designation. However, there are more than enough toned examples out there, such that many coins have still justifiably received those designations. So I wouldn’t describe it as “one or the other” “in almost all cases”.

Thank you very much. I am reading about toning and how NT happens, etc. The science is available to study. The art is what makes it a really fun sub-specialty of the business. A rather large sub-specialty at that!

PS - I completely agree with the non PL designation, by the way. It's 100% on point.
  • ptolemyII said:

As you're aware, in many instances, toning is deep enough to preclude analysis without a picture of the coin o:)

It's been posted and it's now my profile picture. Perhaps your reading comp needs a refresher.
  • edited June 2022
    Rondor said:

ptolemyII said:

As you're aware, in many instances, toning is deep enough to preclude analysis without a picture of the coin o:)

It's been posted and it's now my profile picture. Perhaps your reading comp needs a refresher.
    To be fair, he/we wouldn’t necessarily have known that, without being told. Usually, when referring to a particular coin, posters include pictures or a link within their posts. And I believe that they should.

Based on your profile picture, I would have guessed that the coin was PL.
  • edited June 2022
    Since it's a UnTrueView, my opinion would be worthless anyway. :'(
  • MarkFeld said:

Rondor said:

ptolemyII said:

To be fair, he/we wouldn’t necessarily have known that, without being told. Usually, when referring to a particular coin, posters include pictures or a link within their posts. And I believe that they should.

Based on your profile picture, I would have guessed that the coin was PL.
    You are correct. I guess I have just noticed that poster's troll responses in other threads and reacted. My bad.
  • edited June 2022
    @Rondor.. Perhaps your reading comp needs a refresher.

Yoko really hit those high notes on "Instant Karma". You've now qualified to sing along :p

• ptolemyII said:

@Rondor.. Perhaps your reading comp needs a refresher.

Yoko really hit those high notes on "Instant Karma". You've now qualified to sing along :p

Karma? That is not karma. Karma is when someone with skills hacks you because you troll constantly. Now that would be real karma.
  • Well, that went well.

It is Monday, though....
  • edited June 2022
    @Rondor - That was a hacking? You will need a much stronger feather to beat me with. It is to laugh :p . You're new here......And have now made a new playmate :p .

You were very mildly out of order because you haven't been here long enough to know how to post a useful image.
    You were teased, not trolled. You will note that I opened my statement with an exact quote of @MarkFeld's previous statement. And I ended with a smile.
    Your embarrassment over your ignorance impeled you to strike out at the messenger when YOU were the source.
    And you have so little class that you can't recognize your own ignorance and take responsibility and just say "Rick, I've read your posts and decided you're an asshole and just now gratuitously crapped on you. You might deserve it, though not for this. But 'eff yourself anyway".

You sounded just like Will Smith. Scary, pathetic or both.
    When you say something ignorant or factually stupid, I'll be here.

It is a pronounced character flaw of mine that, instead of showing compassion and tolerance, I just like to punish obnoxiously stupid people. :'(
    Welcome <3
  • ptolemyII said:

This was a hacking? This was a hacking? It is to laugh :p . You're new here......And have now made a new playmate :p .
    You were very mildly out of order because you haven't been here long enough to know how to post a useful image.
    You were teased, not trolled. You will note that I opened my statement with an exact quote of @MarkFeld's previous statement. And I ended with a smile.
    And you have so little class that you can't recognize your own ignorance and take responsibility and just say "Rick, I've read your posts and decided you're an asshole and just now gratuitously crapped on you. You might deserve it, though not for this. But 'eff yourself anyway".
    You sounded just like Will Smith. Scary, pathetic or both.
    When you say something ignorant or factually stupid, I'll be here.

It is a pronounced character flaw of mine that, instead of showing compassion and tolerance, I just like to punish obnoxiously stupid people. <3 </p>

I refer to my last post.
  • Oooooh, another prospective participant in my Dead Nemesis Project.

Be very very sure of your facts. I don't have to call people arrogantly ignorant or stupid. I just elucidate on how they've already proven it themselves.

@CAC_Team alert.... I'm going to teach someone to dance in the pale moonlight >:)
  • ptolemyII said:

Oooooh, another prospective participant in my Dead Nemesis Project.

Be very very sure of your facts. I don't have to call people arrogantly ignorant or stupid. I just elucidate on how they've already proven it themselves.

@CAC_Team alert.... I'm going to teach someone to dance in the pale moonlight >:)

Here we go :p
  • The best thing about numismatics is the friends you make. :D
  • ptolemyII said:

Oooooh, another prospective participant in my Dead Nemesis Project.

Googlectuals like yourself are not capable of teaching anyone anything with the exception of how to have a pimply ass from sitting behind your computer in mom's basement for months on end and how to most quickly require one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Flash-Furniture-HERCULES-Rated-Fabric/dp/B0047BA8VY/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1509812067&sr=8-1&keywords=Flash+Furniture+HERCULES+Series+Big+&+Tall+1000+lb.+Rated+Black+Fabric+Stack+Chair+(1000lb+capacity)&linkCode=sl1&tag=thefatlip0f-20&linkId=431da7c43a6bc5f56b1ca1447af65920&language=en_US
  • edited June 2022
    You omitted my mother's combat boots..... :o

A fish in a barrel who thinks he's Moby Dick. :)

But why use a gun when a mohel can offer so much more entertainment. :p

Sit in the second row....... :*

Mohel? If you're not squeamish (and you've been warned) Google that and you'll learn to laugh in Yiddish.
  • Pyrite said:
    The best thing about numismatics is the friends you make. :D
    Agree, we are all friends here!
  • edited June 2022
    WilliamJ said:

Pyrite said:

The best thing about numismatics is the friends you make. :D

Agree, we are all friends here!
    ......................................................................................................
    Absent a chorus of kumbaya, kumbaya..... I'm gonna go with "numismatics makes strange bedfellows" B)