Gold CAC Washington Quarter sells for incredible price at GC tonight. Your thoughts? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Gold CAC Washington Quarter sells for incredible price at GC tonight. Your thoughts?

edited June 2022 in General
So this 1948 Gold Quarter sold for $325 tonight even though it’s PCGS price guide is only $26 in MS 65. All gold labels sold strong but mostly 2-4 times  price guide, except this quarter. Is this a special circumstance? What do you think?

Comments

• It’s not a good label Washington Quarter nor a Gold Washington Quarter. You really should fix your use of those words. You made the same error on the PCGS forum. 
  • There are occasional unusual outliers in auctions. Nothing new.
  • The competition for business strike Washington quarters in rattlers can be fierce. If you think this realization is steep, I am pretty sure that the same coin, prior to going to CAC, sold for close to $800.
  • ..well, either this example or another example. I can’t say for sure it was this one.
  • ..well, either this example or another example. I can’t say for sure it was this one.

That could make a huge difference.
  • MarkFeld said:

..well, either this example or another example. I can’t say for sure it was this one.

Also came back gold CAC.

• edited June 2022

MarkFeld said:

..well, either this example or another example. I can’t say for sure it was this one.

Also came back gold CAC.

It could still make a huge difference, as would be evidenced if there was a previous sale at close to $800.
  • The competition for business strike Washington quarters in rattlers can be fierce. If you think this realization is steep, I am pretty sure that the same coin, prior to going to CAC, sold for close to $800.

I would find it incredible if it was the same coin. The consignor of this likely had it for a very long time, and we did not auction it until we sent it to CAC and it sold in the OP's post for $325 (as item 1164637).

- Ian

• MarkFeld said:

MarkFeld said:

Also came back gold CAC.

It could still make a huge difference, as would be evidenced if there was a previous sale at close to $800.
    I really don't think this coin sold previously, certainly not at GreatCollections.

- Ian

• In searching our auction archive, I found this one with Gold CAC. Perhaps @SilenceOfTheClams was confusing with this one? There's other examples too.

GreatCollections Record Coin Price - Rattler

• No, the coin I was thinking of was sold on ebay (if memory serves), here is an example that sold this morning on ebay, no sticker. I was underbidder. Went cheap. The market for Washington quarters in rattlers is small, but competetive, so the GC realization isn't surprising at all.
  • Just for reference, these are my Washington quarters with beans. While some denigrate as parking lot finds, the niche is cutthroat and a fun pursuit. An example with a guide value of $30 to $40 can often sell for between $200 and $750. I know because I have observed them all over the last 6 or 7 years and been a bidder on many.
  • Wow 

Nice cache Silence 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
  • Pix like that always make me rue the day I decided I needed to get all my slabs reholdered so that they would all have matching pretty new blue inserts...
  • Are these collectors collecting coins or plastic slabs or CAC stickers. Seems to me the latter two!
  • mellado said:
    Are these collectors collecting coins or plastic slabs or CAC stickers. Seems to me the latter two!
    Seems some crazy prices for common date rattlers even without a gold or green sticker. I would understand it more if the coin had a gold sticker to go with it.