Circ 1895-O Barber half... will it straight grade? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Circ 1895-O Barber half... will it straight grade?

Not the best pix but best I can do at this time. Overexposed.

Comments

• Where's the o mint mark? Can't see it....
  • It is there. I think the overexposure...and it looks like it was to the gray-green spectrum sort of hides it, and the angle of lighting makes it fade.

Then again, I have never been good at deciphering photos of coins, and if it is not overexposure to the gray-green spectrum, then I don't think this piece is going to straight grade.

Sue me for my opinion. I am old, and welcome the excitement.
  • Are you asking because of the scratches on the obverse portrait or some other reason? If the former, my guess is that the coin would straight-grade.
  • Concern is the possibility of cleaned. The scratches are ok, they got highlighted by the lighting.

95-O has one reverse die where the mint mark is so weak they can be cherrypicked in TPG 95-P holders. (The OP example is not from that die however)
  • Concern is the possibility of cleaned. The scratches are ok, they got highlighted by the lighting.

95-O has one reverse die where the mint mark is so weak they can be cherrypicked in TPG 95-P holders. (The OP example is not from that die however)

If it’s been cleaned heavily enough to preclude a straight grade, I can’t tell from the images. Of course, I might feel differently, were I to see it in hand.
  • While browsing the NGC site I came across this: "NGC rejects coins that are obviously cleaned while simply downgrading those that have light cleaning but which are still acceptable to the coin market."

This makes mucho sense to me and helps to explain why I see so many circulated Barbers in NGC plastic that appear under graded. It's a simple matter of Market Grading vs. Technical Grading. Not a big deal in the long run but was kind of an enlightening factoid for me to read...
  • MarkFeld said:

Concern is the possibility of cleaned. The scratches are ok, they got highlighted by the lighting.

If it’s been cleaned heavily enough to preclude a straight grade, I can’t tell from the images. Of course, I might feel differently, were I to see it in hand.
    Is the toning so heavy that it might qualify as environmental damage? How can you tell from photos? Also, were you a finalizer?
  • CACfan said:

MarkFeld said:

Concern is the possibility of cleaned. The scratches are ok, they got highlighted by the lighting.

Is the toning so heavy that it might qualify as environmental damage? How can you tell from photos? Also, were you a finalizer?
    Based on how it appears in the images, no. But I don’t know what it looks like in hand.

No, I wasn’t a finalizer.
  • Grade from PCGS came in as VF35. And it garnered a green bean.

As is the 'new normal', the Trueview looks like some other coin smh.

• LOL! You sure don't want to be selling coins on ebay if the original pictures are yours. This goes to my GTG thread where pictures can be so different!
  • This is the first I have seen of the thread, but my initial reaction was that the coin would straight-grade. As for the TrueView, well, I have had a few where I simply get in touch with Phil over at PCGS and he has been able to fish out additional shots for me to choose from to see what matches the coin. Generally, this works out well and then he switches the TV image on the PCGS site to match what I have chosen, but the process is bulky and we shouldn't have to be in touch with PCGS to fix the issue.
  • Respect both of you guys' input. Thanks.

You still doing photo's for hire Tom? Your shots are superb!
  • I dislike the slight rim bump under the first L in dollar. 
  • I don't care for the Barber half, but I don't see anything that would keep it from straight-grading. It has IMO ugly toning and perhaps was wiped, but I don't see any harsh cleaning or environmental damage. Based upon the reverse (EF40, IMO), the coin looks like it was net graded.