Will a corrosion speck nix a sticker on an ms64 coin? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Will a corrosion speck nix a sticker on an ms64 coin?

edited July 2022 in Grading

There's a minor speck in D in GOD and just above Trust in T.

Comments

• I can't answer your question but I think that coin has great color.
  • Is there also something at the topmost T in TRUST?
  • edited July 2022
    Top (first) T has no issue. Above the second T is the corrosion spot. These are very minor and I don't mind them (on a 64rd). This is the Jack Lee coin which sold in 2017 I think so not sure if it went to CAC before the auction but perhaps.
  • Thanks Bushmaster.
  • The impact of a corrosion spot on a coin’s value, aesthetic appeal and its slab grade depends a great deal on several factors:
    1. The size of the corr spot and whether it is “ dead” or still active ( bright green)
    2. The spot’s placement - obv or rev, in field or on a design feature
    3. Whether the spot immed “ rivets” a viewer’s attention or is only obvious upon 2nd / 3rd glance or only under magnification
    4. Whether it is on an otherwise common coin in similar grade or is on a rare or really rare coin whereby it dwindles into very low importance
    5. Whether it is on a copper, nickel, silver or gold coin or on wht metal/ lead or aluminum where corr spots are prolific

Whatever the case, never ever try to remove it with a sharp instrument as soo many coins have been ruined with spot pin scratches . Sometimes the dark corrosion spot is a waxy particle adhering to the metal in which case a wood toothpick dipped in coin oil may
    carefully “ nudge” the particle loose. So examine the “ spot” closely with a strong magn glass before doing anything

• mellado said:

The impact of a corrosion spot on a coin’s value, aesthetic appeal and its slab grade depends a great deal on several factors:
    1. The size of the corr spot and whether it is “ dead” or still active ( bright green)
    3. Whether the spot immed “ rivets” a viewer’s attention or is only obvious upon 2nd / 3rd glance or only under magnification
    4. Whether it is on an otherwise common coin in similar grade or is on a rare or really rare coin whereby it dwindles into very low importance
    5. Whether it is on a copper, nickel, silver or gold coin or on wht metal/ lead or aluminum where corr spots are prolific

Whatever the case, never ever try to remove it with a sharp instrument as soo many coins have been ruined with spot pin scratches . Sometimes the dark corrosion spot is a waxy particle adhering to the metal in which case a wood toothpick dipped in coin oil may
    carefully “ nudge” the particle loose. So examine the “ spot” closely with a strong magn glass before doing anything

This is a good post. Are you affiliated with any TPGS? It would be nice to know if JA and TPGS agree or if they would add anything.
  • Insider3 said:

mellado said:

The impact of a corrosion spot on a coin’s value, aesthetic appeal and its slab grade depends a great deal on several factors:

This is a good post. Are you affiliated with any TPGS? It would be nice to know if JA and TPGS agree or if they would add anything.
    It may assist if you state your affiliation, also.
  • I agree with Mellado’s first comment. If it’s bright green and “ active “ it’s a major detriment. It’s by far more important than 2-5 combined. JA 
  • Dear John,

Again, I owe you an apology and a thank you. I neglected to post a bio when I joined CAC. Although it has nothing to do with anything in this thread, due to your concern, I just corrected my mistake.

To tell you the truth, I'm not really interested in who a poster is or what they have done. I judge posters only by what they contribute to a thread.

So far... :(

• JACAC said:

I agree with Mellado’s first comment. If it’s bright green and “ active “ it’s a major detriment. It’s by far more important than 2-5 combined. JA 

John,

If you wish and when you have time could you expand on your comments without feeling you are getting pinned down to a certain "fixed" CAC Standard. All coins are different and any imperfections we find on them may not be treated in the same way. I don't understand why 2-5 are as important. I realize we are posting concepts about fictional coins we cannot see; yet I'm interested in a "deeper dive" into how you and the professional dealers here treat carbon spots.

Mellado and I do things pretty much the same. I treat spots exactly as I do bag marks. So before reading your post, I thought CAC and all the TPGS would consider everything fairly equally - number, size, location. I never considered the active/non-active part because in many cases I can either remove the green or turn it to black when the customer wants conservation.

Another thing. If a red copper coin has noticeable spots I will not (extremely rarely) grade it above 64. In your opinion and that of others here is that "wacky," old fashioned, and not done for commercial grading?