Witter Coin University 1922-S Saint Fundraiser at Great Collections and Lunch with John Albanese — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Witter Coin University 1922-S Saint Fundraiser at Great Collections and Lunch with John Albanese

edited July 2022 in General
I wanted bring to the attention of the forum a special coin that is being auctioned by Great Collections to help raise money for Young Numismatists to attend Witter Coin University this Summer.

Link to the auction:

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1204117/1922-S-Saint-Gaudens-Gold-Double-Eagle-PCGS-MS-63-CAC-Witter-Coin-University--2022-Charity-Auction--Includes-Lunch-with-John-Albanese-from-photo

Description:

"The Old Granite Lady"

GreatCollections is pleased and honored to offer a very special coin with 100% of the auction proceeds being donated to Witter Coin University. WCU is raising $175,000 to fund 40 scholarships for Young Numismatists between the ages of 13 to 21 for an eight day "Fundamentals of Numismatics" seminar in San Francisco from July 23 to 31, 2022.

100% of the proceeds of this auction, including the full buyer's fee, will be donated to the Witter Coin University, a 501(c)(3) non profit organization.

The 1922-S Saint-Gaudens was once considered a greater rarity than the 1929, 1930-S, 1931 and 1932, however, a few small hoards were discovered overseas between 1950 and 1983. It is still rare - a much better date than its Philadelphia counterpart. Only 27 have been approved by CAC graded MS-63.

The special oversized PCGS holder with exclusive Witter Coin University label has signatures from all of the numismatic instructors of the university for 2022 including Jim Stoutjesdyk, Steven Feltner, Devin Hipp, John Brush, Kevin Kaufmann, David McCarthy and of course, university dean Seth Chandler.

This auction also comes with something special from John Albanese, founder and president of CAC. If you are local to CAC's headquarters in Far Hills, NJ, John will buy you lunch at his favorite Italian restaurant. If you are not local to CAC, you can have an exclusive hour-long phone call together - ask him how the industry has evolved - remember, he was a co-founder of PCGS before he started NGC and CAC - there is no one better to give you behind the scenes insight on numismatics.

The Fundamentals of Numismatics class that is being taught to the 40 Young Numismatists has an emphasis on coin grading, counterfeit detection, ethics and reputation awareness, numismatic history, and the various opportunities in the numismatic industry, among other things. WCU kicks off with an all day field trip around San Francisco, then five days of classroom instruction, highlighted by an amazing graduation dinner where each student receives a Witter Coin University Degree. During the week, nightly field trips will include the original San Francisco Mint, and Witter Coin - America's Coin Shop. Special guest speakers include Allen Rowe, Jessica Berkman, John Dannreuther, Chuck Link, and Doug Winter.

WCU encourages all YNs from ages 13 to 21 to apply next year for a scholarship. Please visit [-domain blocked-] for more information and if you would like to make a donation to the program.

WCU would like to thank GreatCollections (Ian Russell), PCGS (Steven Feltner, Keith Dewald, Heather Boyd, Stephanie Sabin), CAC (John Albanese), the seven instructors for 2022, Abby Zechman, and all bidders - especially the winning bidder. This would not have happened without you.

The Witter Coin Scholarship Fund is a 501(c)(3) non profit organization. All donations are fully tax deductible.

GreatCollections will assist the winning bidder with a formal appraisal of this coin. Generally speaking, donors who purchase items at a charity auction may claim a charitable contribution deduction for the excess of the purchase price paid for an item over its fair market value. GreatCollections does not offer tax advice and recommends bidders contact their own tax professional.

-------------------
Here's also a quick video I created on the auction:
https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cfuz0EaJHgf/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

If you have any questions about the coin, lunch with John A, or Witter Coin University, fire away and I will answer them here.

Thank you to John A, for being a supporter of WCU and all Young Numismatists.

Seth Chandler

Comments

• I will be bidding! Lunch sounds good!
  • edited July 2022
    Such a good cause! I've had the pleasure of working with Witter Coin University over the past two years, so to see it all come together has really been something special. The kids really get a lot out of the seminar, so if you have the resources I encourage you to bid on the auction!

• Love this !!!
  • WilliamJ said:

I will be bidding! Lunch sounds good!

Thank you very much, William.
  • Since I live in San Francisco, I am not too familiar with restaurants in New Jersey. My friends there do rave about a place called Wawa. Will that entice more people to bid if lunch with John is at Waha? I will pay for it. :)
  • Since I live in San Francisco, I am not too familiar with restaurants in New Jersey. My friends there do rave about a place called Wawa. Will that entice more people to bid if lunch with John is at Waha? I will pay for it. :)
    I love Wawa !!!  It’s a village onto itself !!!
    ❤️👍🏻😉
    You sure know how to entice people!  I will grab the tip if, after lunch, we can go back to the CAC office and watch JA grade a few coins for a hour or so! 🙂🤩
  • Such a good cause! I've had the pleasure of working with Witter Coin University over the past two years, so to see it all come together has really been something special. The kids really get a lot out of the seminar, so if you have the resources I encourage you to bid on the auction!
    Great picture! Sure is a great idea helping these young numismatics! They are the future!
  • Isn’t Wawa just a group of gas stations?
  • old Granite Lady

• edited July 2022
    oreville said:
    old Granite Lady
    Who is the big guy in the telephone booth? 🙂
  • oreville said:
    old Granite Lady

That would be cool to visit , however I think Carson City would be equally interesting!
  • I am getting prepared, checkbook is in hand!
  • WilliamJ said:
    I am getting prepared, checkbook is in hand!
    Love it. Thank you for bidding!!!!
  • Fun auction!
  • Bidder 12 really came through supported by 11 other strong bidders .   Great job !!!   Congratulations on a very successful auction .
  • I wonder if the winner is anyone from this CAC forum? Of course the real winners are the students going to WCU !!
  • I was bidder 11. Congrats to the winner, WCU, and all the students!
  • I was bidder 7 and high bidder from Tuesday to Saturday (which means nada in the end). Hope Seth is happy with the outcome.

Tim