1922 Peace $ PR67 Matte CAC — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

1922 Peace $ PR67 Matte CAC

edited August 2022 in General

An awesome new addition to my type set.

PCGS Proof-67 CAC. Ex Raymond T. Baker, director of the United States Mint, 1917 to 1922; Ira & Larry Goldberg's Pre-Long Beach Auction of June 2014, lot 1344, Bob R. Simpson Collection.

Finest known, of 8 graded by PCGS. Mintage perhaps 10-12? The original mintage is unknown- since it was not a regular issue, the Mint did not keep records on the number struck. Undoubtedly very few were made, the coins being intended solely for distribution to influential politicians, Mint and Treasury Department officials, and others intimately involved in the creation and evolution of the Peace dollar design. The coins were not made available to the general public.

Per Stacks Bowers auctions:
“All Proof 1922 high relief Peace dollars were produced in the same manner, struck… on the Mint's medal press to bring up even the most intricate elements of the design. Once struck the coins were sandblasted in the Mint, this type of finish being popular at the time in production of high quality medallic and coinage works of art. These coins are often referred to as "Matte Proofs," or being of a "matte finish," although they are more accurately described as Sand Blast Proofs in keeping with the method of manufacture.”

Raymond Thomas Baker (November 22, 1877 – April 28, 1935) was a businessman born in Nevada, educated at Stanford University, and who grew wealthy from investing in gold mining operations. He was appointed Director of the United States Mint by President Woodrow Wilson, an office he held from 1917 to 1922. This coin was in his personal possession from the time it was struck and was passed down through his daughter to a family friend who eventually sold it in 2014.

Mint Director Raymond T. Baker and Sculptor Anthony de Francisci inspecting a model of the new “Peace” Dollar.

The Commission of Fine Arts held a competition for the design of a new silver dollar and invited "eight prominent sculptors to participate." Several of the entrants had already designed U.S. coins and achieved considerable fame. Although the youngest participant and a novice coin designer, de Francisci "won the competition and took home the $1,500 cash prize."

Regarding this event, "The Dec. 20, 1920, issue of the Baltimore Sun reported…'Eight medalists, all of them from New York, were in the competition for the award. The designs in bas-relief were exhibited privately in the office of Mint Director Raymond T. Baker, after he had shown the winning one to President Harding. The President expressed his pleasure and approval.'" Becoming the designer of the Peace Dollar and receiving considerable publicity as a result of this accomplishment greatly boosted the reputation of de Francisci, taking his career to a whole new level.

De Francisci used his wife Mary Teresa as the model for the Liberty head of the Peace Dollar. When asked about its design, de Francisci "told a newspaper columnist that the portrait was not a 'photograph' of Mrs. de Francisci but was a 'composite' face that 'typified something of America'" De Francisci also said about the design of the Peace Dollar "that his goal was to capture the spirit of the country--its intellectual speed, vigor and vitality."

Comments

• awesome post and very cool information that you're sharing here

thank you so much!
  • edited July 2022
    That coin brings to life a wonderful piece of U.S. history!  Thank you for sharing.
  • I LOVE that coin. I once turned down $800G for it. I wish I could have kept it. It certainly is the BEST 1922 Matte Proof. That is one coin regret selling. Congrats!
  • edited August 2022
    Coin looks like a sculpture or medal. Work of art. Plus being the only silver matte  proof of the 20th century if I am correct 
  • Terrific coin!
  • You have a fantastic collection...thanks for sharing.
  • One word Big Guy...Outrageous. You've got a few nice dollars! ;)
  • I don’t know if the coin or Legend singing praise without self promoting that is blowing me away!  😉😂

It really a beautiful specimen .  Congratulations 🎉🎊🎈🍾 

Interesting that they achieved the finish using sand blasting.    I used to work with a sand blaster and know what its capable of , but would never think they’d use it on a coin.
     Especially after its been struck as an after thought ..

Thanks for sharing 👍🏻🙏🏻
  • Thank you all for your very kind comments- it’s an honor to be a part of these coins’ journey and be a temporary custodian of them. Now if I could only get my kids interested in them!
  • Thank you all for your very kind comments- it’s an honor to be a part of these coins’ journey and be a temporary custodian of them. Now if I could only get my kids interested in them!

Adopt me , i’ll be immediately interested .  🤓

Yes i view it as an honor to be a coins custodian for a period of time .     Especially coin as numismatically important as this one and ones like it .  Kudos 👍🏻🙏🏻🤗
  •   I have a question , was this coin “sand blasted “ after being struck or was the planchard sand blasted prior to being struck?

I thought i read it was after but my brain is telling me it had to be prior in order to mint a proof coin .

Anyone know ?

Thx 
    V
  •   I have a question , was this coin “sand blasted “ after being struck or was the planchard sand blasted prior to being struck?

I thought i read it was after but my brain is telling me it had to be prior in order to mint a proof coin .

Anyone know ?

Thx 
    V

I can tell you, but I think... and my opinion is based on your previous comments here... you would like to read RWB on the subject. Go to NGC Chat Boards, and go the the U.S., World and Ancient coins forum and then to the thread by RWB posted on Sunday 11;22AM, titled:

1922 SANDBLAST PROOF PEACE DOLLAR.

I suspect you may find it worthwhile, and I think you will raise an eyebrow over one particular statement, that, knowing you, will make you go on another quest for info.

Respects, john
  • edited August 2022
    john said:
      I have a question , was this coin “sand blasted “ after being struck or was the planchard sand blasted prior to being struck?

Anyone know ?

Thx 
    V
    I can tell you, but I think... and my opinion is based on your previous comments here... you would like to read RWB on the subject. Go to NGC Chat Boards, and go the the U.S., World and Ancient coins forum and then to the thread by RWB posted on Sunday 11;22AM, titled: 1922 SANDBLAST PROOF PEACE DOLLAR. I suspect you may find it worthwhile, and I think you will raise an eyebrow over one particular statement, that, knowing you, will make you go on another quest for info. Respects, john

You sure make a man work for his knowledge!

Wouldn’t it have been easier to just copy and paste ?  🤦🏻‍♂️😂😂😂😂

Thanks for the lead.  I’ll try to find it.   Just need to join NGC chat boards .

Unless someone wants to post the link 😉

I FOUND IT !!!!   Was easy following your instructions . 👍🏻🙏🏻
  • I did not want to offend anyone by copying and pasting which is baloneyspeak for how the hell do I do that anyway.

www.ngccoin.com, then to Resources and click and the drop down menu appears and click on Chat Boards. The particular thread I am referencing also has a link to the CU discussion.

Anyway, so I do not appear to be an old white guy curmudgeon: after.

You do not have to join NGC to view the thread.

I really was trying to be a nice guy, as opposed to the lapsing resident Greek member.
  • Ah, I note you found it after my witty instruction post answer. Oh well, I was late responding because I had to urinate.
  • john said:
    Ah, I note you found it after my witty instruction post answer. Oh well, I was late responding because I had to urinate.

Hah i deserved it for being that old white guy curmundgeon you speak of …. 🤓😉😂
  • What did you think about the RED highlighted comment?

I do not mentally translate your posts into old white guy curmudgeon.

I would have mentally described you as Defender Against All Lapsing Greek Curmudgeon Members.

• john said:

Ah, I note you found it after my witty instruction post answer. Oh well, I was late responding because I had to urinate.

Hah i deserved it for being that old white guy curmundgeon you speak of …. 🤓😉😂

Another thread there that you may enjoy, also by RWB, is:

LINK TO: KOESSL COLLECTIONOF SANDBLAST PROOF GOLD ON DISPLAY @GC ANA TABLE.
    Thread date Wednesday 27 July.
    A good discussion and commentary by RWB and Mark, and DWLange(NGC) comment.

The thread also has a link to info.
  • Wow, wow, wow. What great coin. Must be spectacular in hand. Outstanding write up - I love the images. Its so much fun to discover and narrate the history behind special coins.

Congrats.
  • Congratulations @FloridaFacelifter. That is stunning and leaves one speechless. To own something like that must be a dream come true. That's the stuff of museums.