Instagram? What am I Missing Out On? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Instagram? What am I Missing Out On?

In the thread on JA and Witter U., @JBatDLRC (John Brush) summed things up very nicely. One of the tidbits he shared was the following comment:

“For those of us who attended and taught, it certainly helped us gain an appreciation of how Instagram provides for a different future in the hobby.”

I don’t have an Instagram account. I’m 71 years old. When my grandchildren talk about apps, I think they’re talking about appetizers, lol (I’m also a Great-Grandfather - I started young- I was 12, and my wife was 10, lol).

What am I missing out on by not using Instagram, since John Brush indicates this will be important for our hobby in the future?

Steve

Comments

• Not much. Instagram is rapidly becoming a TikTok clone. In other words a very large echo chamber of junk. Still, a number of coin people do show their coins for sale there and get a lot of attention. So it can be a good venue. But as the platform is shifting to short form video I suspect that will not endure.
  • Many young flipper dealers seeking rattlers and color. More amusement than source of classic coinage I think. I do think it reflects YN interest as a low cost outlet for dealing.
  • edited August 2022
    Hi Steve,

Easily uploaded and shared cell phone videos of coins with a lot of participation from the younger crowd (though all ages are present and welcome) is the #1 reason it is impactful for the hobby’s future. 

Seth @ Witter Coin does “live” segments pretty regularly as well to discuss the industry, which are entertaining and informative. 

There’s a good mix of dealers on there, heavy hitters are the exception but they are there.  Then you have guys like Aurora Borealis posting newps- and with Morgans like his on display you can see pretty quickly why it’s a cool medium!

It also works very well as a BST platform. 

• Thanks everyone for comments. I now have a better understanding.

Steve
  • It does seem good for a portion of the collectors. I am down to working with 3-4 dealers so not all that interested in this approach to buying.

From what I have read on other forums the Error Collector use it a lot. I have no interest in that branch of collecting.
  • I use it primarily as a means to share pix with family .    But I do enjoy watching the reels.
    It learns what you like to watch and begins showing more of what you like .  For me its Bmw motorcycles , bikes doing wheelies , wildlife / bears and of course beautiful women ! 
  • Catbert said:

Many young flipper dealers seeking rattlers and color. More amusement than source of classic coinage I think. I do think it reflects YN interest as a low cost outlet for dealing.

Everyone can’t deal in the 5 figure plus coins. 🙄
  • edited August 2022

Catbert said:

Many young flipper dealers seeking rattlers and color. More amusement than source of classic coinage I think. I do think it reflects YN interest as a low cost outlet for dealing.

Everyone can’t deal in the 5 figure plus coins. 🙄
    Neither can I as a collector buyer!

• In the thread on JA and Witter U., @JBatDLRC (John Brush) summed things up very nicely. One of the tidbits he shared was the following comment:

“For those of us who attended and taught, it certainly helped us gain an appreciation of how Instagram provides for a different future in the hobby.”

I don’t have an Instagram account. I’m 71 years old. When my grandchildren talk about apps, I think they’re talking about appetizers, lol (I’m also a Great-Grandfather - I started young- I was 12, and my wife was 10, lol).

What am I missing out on by not using Instagram, since John Brush indicates this will be important for our hobby in the future?

Steve

You are 71 and I am 68, will turn 69 this month. I do not follow twitter either. I do like texting, facebook anf emails but too much technology.
  • instagram? I obviously confuse instagram with twitter as I do not follow either, LOL
  • I am 54 years old. Never tried Instagram, Twitter, tick toc, Facebook, and I have troubles with my computer on a regular basis. Self employed, with employees, but I am a little behind with technology! 
       I do love the coin hobby!
  • WilliamJ said:

I am 54 years old. Never tried Instagram, Twitter, tick toc, Facebook, and I have troubles with my computer on a regular basis. Self employed, with employees, but I am a little behind with technology! 
       I do love the coin hobby!

That sort of DEFINES the "coin hobbyist." :D
  • Catbert said:

Just wanted to post that I bought a coin from a young man on IG last night. It was a nice coin and reasonably priced. In fact, when we messaged and I was introducing myself, he said he'd read my comment above and I said that I thought it was a tad obnoxious/condescending in retrospect. So, this is my mea culpa! The future of the hobby is in good hands!
  • edited August 2022

In the thread on JA and Witter U., @JBatDLRC (John Brush) summed things up very nicely. One of the tidbits he shared was the following comment:

Steve

You are not missing out on anything except overhyped, unbelievably common modern *****. Ebay still reigns supreme for buying or selling truly rare coins.
  • I'm no expect on Instagram or social media.....but it is certainly a hotbed for numismatic activity - especially with the younger crowd.

I've been creating IG videos for about two years now. Its fun. 3 mins a video on average times 4 or 5 a week. No editing. So its under 30 mins of my time a week. It started out to show off all the cool stuff we buy over the counter as it comes in, then some of the bigger coins we handled. Now I am all over the map with educational videos, behind the scenes of the coin shop, I interview collectors, do PCGS and CAC reveals, coin of the day, and content for YNs. Dozens of other topics. Its actually a lot of fun for me. I think folks are getting a kick out of it, as at larger shows well over 100 people comment how much they love the videos.

I enjoy sharing my experiences and giving back in any way I can.

To sum it all up, think of Instagram as another source to gain info on numismatics.

• CACfan said:

Steve

You are not missing out on anything except overhyped, unbelievably common modern *****. Ebay still reigns supreme for buying or selling truly rare coins.
    Sigh.....

The year is 1844. The day is 24 May. The man is Samuel Morse. Mr. Morse sends a message to Alfred Vail in Baltimore, at a railroad station.

A lot of doubting Thomas "hrumpffffsss" from members of Congress.

The message:

" What hath God wrought?".

Mr. Vail sends the exactly worded message back to Mr. Morse, in the U.S. Capitol.

And, the Telegraph system is born in the U.S.

And, here we are. It is 2022.

It seems it is possibly an appropriate message that describes your thoughts.

Progress. Innovation. Incredible improvement of communication, in just 178 years. Who'd a thunk? We don't have to be plane wrecked on an Island talking to volleyballs, anymore.

Believe, Brother, in our future collectors. Get on Board.

• What are you missing? Piles of kids using mommy and daddy's money to bypass the hard work and lessons learned by those of us who weren't fortunate enough to have parents that dumped thousands into our hobbies. I had one of these kids tell me to go F myself because I wouldn't tell him who bought a coin I sold... I do believe that kid was a Witter Coin U grad too. No offense to Seth and the wonderful work he's doing with WCU at all, they can't all be winners, but these kids start thinking they're the new hotness because they flip a few coins working off greysheet spreads or playing the bean game and make a few grand, and then spend some money (Sub $1k) with you and think they're entitled to special treatment or something.

There's maybe a dozen good, young dealers on IG. It's also a great way to find dealers off eBay to make them direct offers on their coins. Also also a great place to check out what collectors wanna share, like the aforementioned AuroraBorealis.

In terms of selling, there's too many tire kickers for me unless you post a truly great/special coin, then everybody and their mother wants it but nobody wants to pay up for it since they're all trying to flip it. I just scroll and look at pretty coins, and it's great for that as long as you can ignore the 30,000 ads.

eBay, GreatCollections and Facebook is where the serious buyers are nowadays.
  • Oh well....
  • john said:

CACfan said:

Steve

Sigh.....

The year is 1844. The day is 24 May. The man is Samuel Morse. Mr. Morse sends a message to Alfred Vail in Baltimore, at a railroad station.

A lot of doubting Thomas "hrumpffffsss" from members of Congress.

The message:

" What hath God wrought?".

Mr. Vail sends the exactly worded message back to Mr. Morse, in the U.S. Capitol.

And, the Telegraph system is born in the U.S.

And, here we are. It is 2022.

It seems it is possibly an appropriate message that describes your thoughts.

Progress. Innovation. Incredible improvement of communication, in just 178 years. Who'd a thunk? We don't have to be plane wrecked on an Island talking to volleyballs, anymore.

Believe, Brother, in our future collectors. Get on Board.

So, I must now deal in modern junk just because you have said so? What is your favorite, the extremely rare 2021 Morgan, whose mintage is only 175,000 (all of which have been saved)? Yeah, it is a bargain for $1,140.

Counterintuitively, I think that I will stick with dealing in real coins and avoid the favorite platforms of community college sophomores.