Straight Grade for the Green-Eliasberg-Bass 1870-S $3 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Straight Grade for the Green-Eliasberg-Bass 1870-S $3

The unique Col. Green-Eliasberg-Bass 1870-S $3 gold piece is fascinating for a number of reasons, including the markings or graffiti'd "893" on the reverse. PCGS recently graded the coin AU50, suggesting that the "893" is mint-made or maybe that such an important coin is worthy of net grading (which seems rather generous, even without considering the "893").

Should this coin be straight graded? Would a details grade really have an effect on the auction price of this rarity?

Comments

• I say no. Details ex-jewelry or graffiti.
    I do not think it would affect the price much. Unique to date and everyone or their agents know the history. Goes beyond upgrading 1804 $'s and 13 nicks imho though.
    Market graded so all is well or off to the other service.
  • AU Details - Engraving Damage

Straight grade is not right to everyone else that got a Details rating . 
  • edited August 2022
    Incredible coin. I don't think an appropriate details grade would impact its valuation. The buyers of such a coin know its value regardless of the label within the plastic.
  • I like how anacs gives you a grade and details both, not just AU  details but AU 50 details.
  • Should be in a details slab. One thing I do not like about the hobby is special treatment given to some.
  • Ah, but the PROVENANCE !!!!

o:)
  • All animals are created equal. Some animals are created more equal than others.
  • Unique, rare, expensive, damaged, ugly. Enough said.
  • Does anyone here have a picture of a straight-grade PCGS label for the coin? While I’m not claiming it couldn’t be the case, I’m unaware of the coin having received a straight grade.
  • https://www.pcgs.com/cert/46095412

The above link goes to a picture of the coin in its holder (it just says “893 Engraved” on the label). If the link doesn’t work you can still go the picture through the PCGS site.
  • Click the image on the cert page and then swipe to the right to get to the holder picture.
  • Why not just auction it raw? Why pay pcgs 1% (like $100K or more?). Everyone knows this is the genuine unique coin. Er I guess perhaps what you get for your fee is a new narrative about the coin. (Same with the SP 1794 dollar?) I absolutely love this coin, and the damage or what holder it was in wouldn't matter to me, but I'd be highly annoyed if I was a bidder and another bidder decided to up his bid based on pcgs's new assessment.
  • Feels like it should be in a details holder.
  • edited August 2022

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/46095412

The above link goes to a picture of the coin in its holder (it just says “893 Engraved” on the label). If the link doesn’t work you can still go the picture through the PCGS site.

Thank you. When I read “straight grade” I took that to mean that the “893” wasn’t noted on the grading label. I’m glad that it is.
  • Why not just auction it raw? Why pay pcgs 1% (like $100K or more?). Everyone knows this is the genuine unique coin. Er I guess perhaps what you get for your fee is a new narrative about the coin. (Same with the SP 1794 dollar?) I absolutely love this coin, and the damage or what holder it was in wouldn't matter to me, but I'd be highly annoyed if I was a bidder and another bidder decided to up his bid based on pcgs's new assessment.

My guess is that your “$100K or more” figure is significantly overstated. That aside, even if the holder wouldn’t matter to you, there are likely many bidders and consignors who’d prefer that such coins be graded.
  • Fair enough, 893 Engraved on the holder makes sense. I still don't like that they get away with a 1% fee.
  • NicNic
    edited August 2022
    MarkFeld said:

Thank you. When I read “straight grade” I took that to mean that the “893” wasn’t noted on the grading label. I’m glad that, it is.
    I was thinking straight grade meant not Details. The coin seems straight graded SP50 893 engraved? Not Details engraved?
  • Fair enough, 893 Engraved on the holder makes sense. I still don't like that they get away with a 1% fee.

I have no problem with their professional fees.   It gives us peace of mind knowing it is authentic and not a counterfeit for starters .   That’s worth it right there alone.

I tried swiping as Tazcollector instructed but it’s not working for me .

Would someone please post a picture of the holder ?   Thank you 🙏🏻 
  • Nic said:

MarkFeld said:

Thank you. When I read “straight grade” I took that to mean that the “893” wasn’t noted on the grading label. I’m glad that, it is.
    I was thinking straight grade meant not Details. The coin seems straight graded SP50 893 engraved? Not Details engraved?
    Typically, a “straight” grade indicates the absence of a “details” grade and vice versa. But at the same time, I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a “straight” grade accompanied by language of the type included in this instance “893 engraved” which would usually be part of a “details” grade.
    What makes you think they paid the published  retail grading fees?