Just one gold coin? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Just one gold coin?

Along the lines of another post...

If you could have one gold coin in perfect in every way condition (even though the coin you pick is not known in this condition) as an investment, what would it be. I think I know what it is and none of you will think about it but you just might agree. :)

Comments

• Give me Judd 1776 - thanks very much.😉
  • At the moment I would be very happy with a 1932  $10 Eagle pcgs ms 63+ with a cac sticker!  
        Not worth much, but to me it would make for a happy day!

• MarkFeld said:
    Give me Judd 1776 - thanks very much.😉
    A most amazing coin that hasn’t seen the light of day. Will it ever come to auction? The next $20 million dollar coin, rarer than the 1933 double eagle, and I think never graded by PCGS. Is it still with an east coast collector?
  • I'll take the 1848 double eagle, you know the one that foreshadowed that there was going to be a gold rush. Yes, I know it's only in a Hallmark ms70 slab but it does have a green cac sticker.
  • edited September 2022
    Stevie said:

MarkFeld said:

“A most amazing coin that hasn’t seen the light of day. Will it ever come to auction? The next $20 million dollar coin, rarer than the 1933 double eagle, and I think never graded by PCGS. Is it still with an east coast collector?“

“Ever” is a very long time, so my answer is yes. But I don’t see it happening in the foreseeable future.

Yes, as to the collector who owns it.
  • Well Since the OP is asking us to dream a little bit, I would say an 1841-O half eagle. 

I realize the consensus is that none exist but the mint records at least suggest it is possible if unlikely.  But can you imagine what one would be worth if a genuine example were to surface?  The condition would be secondary to the significance of its existence. 
  • MarkFeld said:

+1
  • I love the $10 1907.
    So I’ll take one of those in MS70.
  • I love the $10 1907.
    So I’ll take one of those in MS70.

Which variety of the 1907 $10?
  • 1848-CAL $2.50
  • None, in gold.
  • Judd#1776 is not listed in my Judd book. Judd#1905 matches the Internet image of J#1776 (Pollock#1998). What am I doing wrong?

Anyway Judd#1776 is probably the only entry besides one of the UHR $20 that could change my pick so far from my choice which I believe would have more world wide interest: Julius Caesar Ides of March Aureus.

• Insider3 said:

Judd#1776 is not listed in my Judd book. Judd#1905 matches the Internet image of J#1776 (Pollock#1998). What am I doing wrong?

Anyway Judd#1776 is probably the only entry besides one of the UHR $20 that could change my pick so far from my choice which I believe would have more world wide interest: Julius Caesar Ides of March Aureus.

An UHR would probably be my second choice.
  • Insider3 said:

Judd#1776 is not listed in my Judd book. Judd#1905 matches the Internet image of J#1776 (Pollock#1998). What am I doing wrong?

Oops... forgot that one. YES YES YES.
  • I have always thought of the piece as a fantasy piece of self promotion, and I would definitely not identify it as a "Roman Imperatorial" piece. That is sort of gobbledygobbeldness. I would not identify it as Roman, either. After all, it was cast in Greece where he was hiding out, and was done as a self serving advertisement and proud self justifying of the act of murder, while hiding out. Not to mention his cowardly suicide after Philippi. He issues the piece in 42 and kills himself in 42. That he stole the gold and silver from Greece and the same gold was used for these pieces, dismisses the peice as having any legitimacy to any Roman or for that matter Greek coin. The only reason for the "fame" of this piece is Shakespeare.

Historical? Certainly. In the same league as the 12 Caesars coins, or the UHR, or any legitimate coin? No.
  • The 1900 PCGS MS65 gold Indian cent. A probable error, yes, but it fits nicely on the $2.50 planchet. A coin does not need to be super expensive to be the most fun and possibly a good investment to boot.

• john said:

I have always thought of the piece as a fantasy piece of self promotion, and I would definitely not identify it as a "Roman Imperatorial" piece. That is sort of gobbledygobbeldness. I would not identify it as Roman, either. After all, it was cast in Greece where he was hiding out, and was done as a self serving advertisement and proud self justifying of the act of murder, while hiding out. Not to mention his cowardly suicide after Philippi. He issues the piece in 42 and kills himself in 42. That he stole the gold and silver from Greece and the same gold was used for these pieces, dismisses the peice as having any legitimacy to any Roman or for that matter Greek coin. The only reason for the "fame" of this piece is Shakespeare.

Historical? Certainly. In the same league as the 12 Caesars coins, or the UHR, or any legitimate coin? No.

I guess like the 1804 dollars and 1913 nickels?

What you have posted has definitely increased my opinion of a great coin to pick for me and world wide collectors. THANKS for the lesson! :) I did think the coin was die struck but you have demonstrated that you know far more than I about that piece of gold.
  • I'm surprised that no one picked the one tonne Australian Kangaroo.
  • I really don't know what you are talking about, or the point you are trying to make, and does not matter. I am not that important enough to give you or anyone lessons. Enough with the backhand BS. Read what I post, or don't. Enjoy an opinion, or don't. Or, ignore.
  • Insider3 said:

I'm surprised that no one picked the one tonne Australian Kangaroo.

A lot of us are old. :'(