Another side hustle I have been working on — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Another side hustle I have been working on

Comments

• Nice side hustle! I see several very nice looking coins in the group. I wish that I could see them in hand!

• While I’m proud of my 50 coin Classic Silver Commem Type Set that’s 100% CAC, that’s so easy to put together compared to your 100% rattler collection with such a high percentage of gold CAC stickers! I don’t own even one!

Congratulations on your super special collection. I’m rooting for you to find more.

Steve
  • What a great sight to see.
  • Do you keep coins ordered online if their OGH's turn out to be scuffy? Or does the prestige of owning the rattlers outweigh the damage? Numerous pricey coins have been returned to my firm due to minor slab scratches regardless of the age of the holders.
  • CACfan said:

Do you keep coins ordered online if their OGH's turn out to be scuffy? Or does the prestige of owning the rattlers outweigh the damage? Numerous pricey coins have been returned to my firm due to minor slab scratches regardless of the age of the holders.

That’s unfortunate. If I had a coin that I liked in a rattler or OGH that had a scuffy slab, I’d still keep it, no questions asked. If it was in another holder, I would just include it in a package being sent to PCGS with other submissions, and have it reholdered, including getting a True View if it didn’t already have one.

Steve
  • CACfan said:
    Do you keep coins ordered online if their OGH's turn out to be scuffy? Or does the prestige of owning the rattlers outweigh the damage? Numerous pricey coins have been returned to my firm due to minor slab scratches regardless of the age of the holders.
    I don’t think of it as prestige to build a set that is all rattlers. Rather, I enjoy setting numismatic goals that are theoretically achievable, are not prohibitively expensive, but not easy to complete.  

So a 50 coin silver commemorative set is not hard. The same set all CAC is harder, but not hard. An all CAC set in rattlers? Hard enough to make the hunt appealing. 

As for rattler holder condition, most conditions I am willing to address. Hairline cracks and retained edge chips respond well to acetone repairs. If a small chip on the edge is gone, a diamond file, solvent, and a donor holder can be used for repair. Scratches usually can be removed with a microfiber towel and McGuires. If too deep for that, I have a series of sandpapers and polishing cloths that are effective. 

If you want an all rattler set, sometimes you take what you can get.