My Number One Wish for CAC — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

My Number One Wish for CAC

Please start grading errors again. Imagine the excitement that would result in this inexplicably unpopular, under-appreciated segment of the market, now that CAC is much bigger than they were when they stopped accepting errors. Superhuman error god Fred retired earlier this year so there is nobody to promote these fascinating oddities (I certainly miss his auctions). CAC beans would give them much needed promotion.

Comments

• When did JA bean errors? I've never seen that before!
  • vamsplus said:

When did JA bean errors? I've never seen that before!

Several years ago. I am unsure about why he stopped. I have ton of PQ errors that I would love to send him.
  • When CAC stickers a slabbed coin, it is a reminder that they are able to buy such coin "sight unseen."

In the case of a mint error, that becomes problematical as it is difficult to "visualize" what the mint error coin looks like. I assume that is the reason why CAC stopped stickering mint errors.

Possibly, a new class of stickering could be established such as a red sticker which shows approval of the assigned grade for the mint error but not approved for CAC to buy sigh unseen?

However, given that CAC has difficulty keeping up with all of the submissions, it is a moot point.

• I don’t think this would make sense at all .

Cac stickers coins solid for the grade .  I don’t think Mint errors are a grade but rather a condition / damage … error. 

I don’t see it quite honestly 
  • oreville said:

When CAC stickers a slabbed coin, it is a reminder that they are able to buy such coin "sight unseen."

In the case of a mint error, that becomes problematical as it is difficult to "visualize" what the mint error coin looks like. I assume that is the reason why CAC stopped stickering mint errors.

Possibly, a new class of stickering could be established such as a red sticker which shows approval of the assigned grade for the mint error but not approved for CAC to buy sigh unseen?

However, given that CAC has difficulty keeping up with all of the submissions, it is a moot point.

CAC wouldn’t have needed to stop stickering error coins for the reason you stated. After all, they choose which coins they wish to make (sight-unseen) markets in and it would be easy to simply exclude errors.
  • Why complicate an already complicated segment of the hobby?

Stick with the intended mint issues. That's where the history is.
  • Pyrite said:

Why complicate an already complicated segment of the hobby?

Stick with the intended mint issues. That's where the history is.

Some so-called errors are more likely patterns and thus as historical as they come. Even actual errors have stories to tell. Some people specialize in them and would appreciate grade verification due to the difficulty in grading them. For instance, where the heck does the minting process end and the post-striking damage begin?
  • I'm not talking about patterns. I mean the jillion ways a coin can be screwed up while striking.
    Sure, they interest the public but a collection of off-center banged-in-the-process coins just doesn't interest me.
    Personal taste. :|
  • Pyrite said:

I'm not talking about patterns. I mean the jillion ways a coin can be screwed up while striking.
    Sure, they interest the public but a collection of off-center banged-in-the-process coins just doesn't interest me.
    Personal taste. :|

You do not think that the imaged 1943-S silver nickel struck on a steel penny planchet is interesting?
  • Only if I had it listed for sale.
  • Pyrite said:

Only if I had it listed for sale.

The markups on errors can be great because dealers pull prices out of the air for unusual coins and often sell them far too cheaply, which allows retailers to charge what the market will bear. But errors are a tough sell; you need to be patient.
  • Ergo, I don't want them. :D
  • I’d love a 55 DDO cent though and am glad they made an exception there!
  • Catbert said:

I’d love a 55 DDO cent though and am glad they made an exception there!

Darned Memorial reverse made it too hard to discover one in change. :D
  • Catbert said:

The 55 DDO in not an error but rather a die variety.
  • CACfan said:

Catbert said:

It’s a die variety from a die that was an error.

From PCGS:
    “The 1955 Doubled Dies were created when the Mint struck a working hub and a working die together while they were both slightly rotated differently from one another. Consequently, this working die then received a doubled die impression and in return, it struck thousands of 1955 Doubled Die cents.”
  • MarkFeld said:

CACfan said:

Catbert said:

It’s a die variety from a die that was an error.

From PCGS:
    “The 1955 Doubled Dies were created when the Mint struck a working hub and a working die together while they were both slightly rotated differently from one another. Consequently, this working die then received a doubled die impression and in return, it struck thousands of 1955 Doubled Die cents.”
    Where is Fred when you need him? Technically, an error is a coin that is uniquely errantly struck. A variety affects the hub and its die(s), or a die by itself and thus all of the coins struck by it or them.