Ebay's Largest CAC Dealer — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Ebay's Largest CAC Dealer

This seller lists the most CAC coins (330) of any Ebay seller. He advertises a total of 11,071 items. But I have seen some of the coins also listed at other dealers' sites. And the prices seem very high to me. The seller averages 19 selling feedbacks per year, fewer than .2% of the listed items. And I believe almost all of those few sales are for under-$80 items, all of which (I believe) he privatizes, possibly in an effort to hide his lack of significant sales. I have often wondered why this seller would bother to endure the painfully tedious process of uploading so many listings just to sell about one in 600 annually. Is his Ebay site a vanity project? My guess is yes.

ebay.com/usr/dreamtrophy

Comments

• I have seen his/her listings and found the pricing to be quite unrealistic so I skip looking at them anymore.
  • Maybe he is doing this as a business write-off.
  • I suspect that he does not even own the items that he advertises because I have seen some of them also listed at other major dealers' sites.
  • How are you able to sort eBay sellers to see the ones with the highest amount of CAC coins for sale? 
  • How are you able to sort eBay sellers to see the ones with the highest amount of CAC coins for sale? 

Good question. I am constantly on the prowl for CAC bargains so I search for them at each of the biggest dealers. You currently have 197 at your two Ebay sites. Your photographs are great!

Do you know of any dealer(s) who has more than 330?

• Do you know of any dealer(s) who has more than 330?

We have 416 CAC-stickered coins on our website and ebay store for sale with another 181 for auction on our website...

• Sorry, forgot about DLRC. You are number one on Ebay. But if you include non-Ebay websites, HA has 540 buy-it-now CAC's plus 1,013 auction CAC's. So HA in more ways than one (ha ha).
  • ha ha might be a clever iteration of the ha.com website.
  • Interesting exercise. Never really thought how many CAC we in have in inventory. Since I packed up coins to be shipped to the ANA today. We probably have 450 or so with 350 will be at the ANA. 
    Probably have 100 coins at CAC and since we have a 125% success rate, that will add another 125 coins to the treasure chest.  😀

• Interesting exercise. Never really thought how many CAC we in have in inventory. Since I packed up coins to be shipped to the ANA today. We probably have 450 or so with 350 will be at the ANA. 
    Probably have 100 coins at CAC and since we have a 125% success rate, that will add another 125 coins to the treasure chest.  😀

Nice odds!
  • CACfan said:

I have often wondered why this seller would bother to endure the painfully tedious process of uploading so many listings just to sell about one in 600 annually. Is his Ebay site a vanity project? My guess is yes.
    ebay.com/usr/dreamtrophy

I haven't looked at this seller in particular but based on your description and what I've seen in other areas of eCommerce when it comes to eBay, here's my guess:

The seller most likely reaches out to other dealers (who don't necessarily have eBay accounts) and offers to list their coins at a higher price on eBay. With some of the modern listing tools, the amount of time to post a listing on eBay can actually be quite small. So he's acting as an affiliate/middleman to some extent. He doesn't hold inventory and posts others' inventory at extremely high prices in the hopes of catching a whale now and then.

Since the cost to list is nil and with the right tools quick, it's probably a fishing expedition with a high payout-to-effort ratio.
  • noahlh said:

CACfan said:

I have often wondered why this seller would bother to endure the painfully tedious process of uploading so many listings just to sell about one in 600 annually. Is his Ebay site a vanity project? My guess is yes.
    ebay.com/usr/dreamtrophy

I haven't looked at this seller in particular but based on your description and what I've seen in other areas of eCommerce when it comes to eBay, here's my guess:

The seller most likely reaches out to other dealers (who don't necessarily have eBay accounts) and offers to list their coins at a higher price on eBay. With some of the modern listing tools, the amount of time to post a listing on eBay can actually be quite small. So he's acting as an affiliate/middleman to some extent. He doesn't hold inventory and posts others' inventory at extremely high prices in the hopes of catching a whale now and then.

Since the cost to list is nil and with the right tools quick, it's probably a fishing expedition with a high payout-to-effort ratio.
    Your analysis seems logical but, having observed this seller's two Ebay sites for years, I doubt that he even nets $1,000 in annual profits. Uploading listings to Ebay is arduous and time consuming. He would earn far more per hour by flipping burgers or sweeping floors. Hence, my previously posted suggestion that he is on an ego trip.
  • I have seen his/her listings and found the pricing to be quite unrealistic so I skip looking at them anymore.

the fact is I believe many of these do not belong to the dealer .. they had one of mine posted for sale 9 months after I had acquired it ( from Heritage not them). Dreamtrophy had it listed for 3 times the price. I reported dreamtrophy to ebay and the listing was ended the next day. I then noted several other very distinctive pieces and noted they were listed on Collector Corner (at 1/2 the price). I notified the CC owner and they thank me and they, likewise, contacted ebay. Dreamtrophy was using the exact posted images without permission and also for offering to sell items they did not have .

the fact is I believe many of these do not belong to the dealer .. they had one of mine posted for sale 9 months after I had acquired it ( from Heritage not them). Dreamtrophy had it listed for 3 times the price. I reported dreamtrophy to ebay and the listing was ended the next day. I then noted several other very distinctive pieces and noted they were listed on Collector Corner (at 1/2 the price). I notified the CC owner and they thank me and they, likewise, contacted ebay. Dreamtrophy was using the exact posted images without permission and also for offering to sell items they did not have .
    Does dreamtrophy own ANY of his listed coins, other than the extremely cheap ones? My random checks suggest that every $500-plus coin that he lists is listed somewhere else for a considerably lower price.
  • Coastcoins lists 299 CAC coins on Ebay, all of which they actually own (I think), unlike the aforementioned dealer. They also have a gorgeous regular website replete with a slight discount from their Ebay prices:

coastcoin.com

• edited September 2022
    But the quality of their photos leaves a lot to be desired.
  • But the quality of their photos leaves a lot to be desired.

They do not grossly doctor their photos like most dealers do, which I believe is very ethical. Their coins always look much better than their images.
  • edited September 2022
    CACfan said:

But the quality of their photos leaves a lot to be desired.

They do not grossly doctor their photos like most dealers do, which I believe is very ethical. Their coins always look much better than their images.
    Grossly doctor? I guess when dealers just doctor, it's okay then.

Most dealers doctor photos? Sweeping generalizations. And, those dealers are very ethical per your statement?
  • On Ebay, most sellers seem to doctor their photos.
  • OK. Sellers, not necessarily dealers. Glad you corrected yourself somewhat.