The $20,000 roll of 1954-S Franklins — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

The $20,000 roll of 1954-S Franklins

edited September 2022 in History
Anybody remember? Late 1980's or early 1990's there was a raw roll of 54-S halves in a Bowers Merena auction.

They were purportedly wrapped individually in tissue paper and all had acquired a remarkable blend of very nice colors both sides: including attractive shades of purple, green and pink.

Another remarkable thing about the roll was that the majority of them had full bell lines; a fact that leads me to believe it was a put together roll.

The third remarkable thing was the lot hammered for $20K, an incredible price for that time frame.

Probably the most important Dealer of Franklins back then was the late Steve Leber (God Bless him), and although I am not sure whether or not Steve was the actual winning bidder, I do know that he ended up with most or all of the roll post-grading.

IIRC a couple of the coins graded 67FBL at NGC. PCGS graded one 67FBL and a bunch graded 66FBL at one service or the other.

I still see the coins pop up here and there on occasion, and I see one of them at GC now. Some of the MS66FBL coins exhibited more color but this was the best one technically.

They are special coins with a great history, it's a shame the inserts did not mention their provenance.

Comments

• Too bad it doesn't have a cac sticker.
  • I cannot grade Franklin halves to save my life!
  • Neither can the TPG's 😉
  • Love the story, but the pic (and maybe the coin, for me) leaves much to be desired!
  • Thanks for the story. I didn't pay much attention to graded Franklins until 2006 so definitely didn't know it. That's a pretty darn nice coin. Was that graded ms67fbl originally or do you think it was an upgrade of a 66fbl? It was pop 1 in 67fbl for a really long time, right?
  • edited September 2022
    I hope this is not breaking rule #2?
    This thread  sure seems like it is not right to me. The coin is still at auction, do you own it? @Bushmaster and @CAC_Team
  • This thread is not appropriate!
  • No, not my coin and no idea who does. I see your point William, but I just wanted to share an interesting tidbit of History. Kind of walking a fine line...

• No, not my coin and no idea who does. I see your point William, but I just wanted to share an interesting tidbit of History. Kind of walking a fine line...

Waking a fine line is the entire history of history. I don't think you did, though. I recall the events, and as a minor observation, over the years I have not read any intent of deception when you posted.
  • Discussions  should wait until after the auction. There could be a lot of negative or positive things said here that could persuade bidders either way.
  • WilliamJ said:

Discussions  should wait until after the auction. There could be a lot of negative or positive things said here that could persuade bidders either way.

While I respect your view, I suspect the number of people who might bid who visit this forum is miniscule to the point of having an insignificant impact on this auction.

Secondly, I like professional courtesy, but I like free speech more. Two cents proffered. :)
  • john said:

No, not my coin and no idea who does. I see your point William, but I just wanted to share an interesting tidbit of History. Kind of walking a fine line...

Waking a fine line is the entire history of history. I don't think you did, though. I recall the events, and as a minor observation, over the years I have not read any intent of deception when you posted.
    BTW, that should be "Walking", not "Waking". So, I smacked myself, if anyone misinterpreted a political bent to my post. I despise myself when I spell incorrectly. Thus, there is no need to do so on my behalf.
    So there....
  • Catbert said:

WilliamJ said:

Discussions  should wait until after the auction. There could be a lot of negative or positive things said here that could persuade bidders either way.

While I respect your view, I suspect the number of people who might bid who visit this forum is miniscule to the point of having an insignificant impact on this auction.

Secondly, I like professional courtesy, but I like free speech more. Two cents proffered. :)
    Plus an increase of 8.6%, no?
  • Catbert said:
    While I respect your view, I suspect the number of people who might bid who visit this forum is miniscule to the point of having an insignificant impact on this auction. Secondly, I like professional courtesy, but I like free speech more. Two cents proffered. :)

There is no free speech in a privately owned forum .   And rules exist for a reason ….
    that’s my two cents. 🤓

• Catbert said:

While I respect your view, I suspect the number of people who might bid who visit this forum is miniscule to the point of having an insignificant impact on this auction. Secondly, I like professional courtesy, but I like free speech more. Two cents proffered. :)
    He is breaking rule #2 !
  • edited September 2022

Catbert said:

WilliamJ said:

There is no free speech in a privately owned forum .   And rules exist for a reason ….
    that’s my two cents. 🤓

What rule? No prohibition to post about an open auction as long as I have no vested interest.

Free speech here until restricted. I don’t think you’re in charge of determining my speech here whether it is a private enterprise or not. So, we have fundamental difference in the perception of what is an acceptable post.
  • Catbert said:
    Catbert said:

that’s my two cents. 🤓

What rule? No prohibition to post about an open auction as long as I have no vested interest. Free speech here until restricted. I don’t think you’re in charge of determining my speech here whether it is a private enterprise or not. So, we have fundamental difference in the perception of what is an acceptable post.

No need to get all worked up.    I don’t care what you say.  I merely stated a fact.   There is no free speech on a private forum.   The owner sets the rules.  

A lot of people yell about their constitutional rights on forums as if scotus is going to uphold those ideals here.  🤓😂😂
  • edited September 2022
    Not worked up. Not making constitutional debate. Am following rules and don’t wish to be wrongly corrected, particularly by someone not in charge on this forum.
  • Catbert said:

What rule? No prohibition to post about an open auction as long as I have no vested interest. Free speech here until restricted. I don’t think you’re in charge of determining my speech here whether it is a private enterprise or not. So, we have fundamental difference in the perception of what is an acceptable post.
    Rule #2! There is no advertising! 
        I was bidding on this coin, not anymore. This thread contaminated the auction! Another Franklin collector is not going to bid now also, probably more people? 
       I am very disappointed that this thread is still open! 
  • edited September 2022
    Why would talking about a coin contaminate an auction? Wouldn't everyone want to discuss a coin to learn about potential issues BEFORE the auction is over? Why would you not bid on a coin because of this thread? Sorry, but that makes no sense to me.

And since @Bushmaster is not the seller, he's not advertising anything. And there are no rules that one can't discuss a coin that is still being auctioned. As a matter of fact, people do it all the time with big coins that are coming up like the Bass coins.

The only issue I see is that this coin is not a CAC coin so not very relevant for this forum.