How Much Value Does A Pedigree Add To A Coin — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

How Much Value Does A Pedigree Add To A Coin

What's your opinion on pedigree. Does the fact that the coin was in a great collection or owned by a well known collector make it worth more? Do most collectors keep the pedigree label or do some get the coin reholdered. I'd just like to hear what the community thinks.

Comments

• I don’t pay more based on pedigree, but I do research the pedigree of my coins, I keep the ones I like on the holders, and researching the pedigree of my coins is one of the most enjoyable parts of the hobby for me.
  • I don’t pay more based on pedigree, but I do research the pedigree of my coins, I keep the ones I like on the holders, and researching the pedigree of my coins is one of the most enjoyable parts of the hobby for me.

Completely agree. And just to add, with the right ole time collector whom has a proven track record of having some of the finest knowns, I will typically be able to count his coins having great eye appeal so why reinvent the wheel, Ie when I find his pieces I will typically agree with his tastes and be motivated to acquire I/them.

• The premiums can get crazy if the pedigree is Norweb or other famous name. Check APR's for proof.
  • Adds no value in my opinion. Some of the best coins out there were never owned by big name collectors. 
  • For anyone who believes they add no value, I’ll take any Eliasberg coins that you have for normal prices.
  • I like the history of a pedigree but I won’t pay for it unless there is some personal element of connection for me somehow. 
  •  I’ve noticed that my pedigree coins were and are consistently very clean better examples when compared to others.   As an example my Half Dome 1924 Saint Gauden ms 66 CAC is cleaner and in better condition than most every 66+’s I see and even quite a few 67’s!!!    My Fairmont Collection 1913 D ms 64 CAC is the same thing .   

I put both up for auction at Great Collections which ends tomorrow evening .   I paid normal money for them and the current bidding seems to be on par.    ( I’m only selling because I upgraded those positions , I’ll probably wish I had kept them. 

So to sum it all up , I have not noticed pedigree selling at higher prices but I have noticed the coins to be much nicer than the others .   

P.S.  I recommend going on GC and looking at them.  
  • For anyone who believes they add no value, I’ll take any Eliasberg coins that you have for normal prices.

I’ve seen Duckor , Fox and others sell for no more than any other coin of equal grade and certified by same tpg & CAC.

The 23 D Duckor $20 Saint ms 67 CAC that sold last August hammered at $32,500.00

I quit at $32,000.00 .   Funny , cause today I paid $37,500 or so .  Missed opportunity.   

My friend has a 23 D 67 CAC , the nicest one of the bunch , non pedigree that I’d easily pay $42,500 to $45,000

I buy the coin not the label . 
  •  I’ve noticed that my pedigree coins were and are consistently very clean better examples when compared to others.   As an example my Half Dome 1924 Saint Gauden ms 66 CAC is cleaner and in better condition than most every 66+’s I see and even quite a few 67’s!!!    My Fairmont Collection 1913 D ms 64 CAC is the same thing .   

I put both up for auction at Great Collections which ends tomorrow evening .   I paid normal money for them and the current bidding seems to be on par.    ( I’m only selling because I upgraded those positions , I’ll probably wish I had kept them. 

So to sum it all up , I have not noticed pedigree selling at higher prices but I have noticed the coins to be much nicer than the others .   

I will check those out. I'm bidding on some of the Gregg Bingham Collection of Classic Silver Commems and I own one of D.L. Hansen's gold one dollar commems.
    Those Gregg Bingham coins have some awesome toning to them
  • JohnTCoin said:
     I’ve noticed that my pedigree coins were and are consistently very clean better examples when compared to others.   As an example my Half Dome 1924 Saint Gauden ms 66 CAC is cleaner and in better condition than most every 66+’s I see and even quite a few 67’s!!!    My Fairmont Collection 1913 D ms 64 CAC is the same thing .   

I will check those out. I'm bidding on some of the Gregg Bingham Collection of Classic Silver Commems and I own one of D.L. Hansen's gold one dollar commems. Those Gregg Bingham coins have some awesome toning to them

Have a look.  Would be cool if a friend had them .  ( then I can buy them back when sellers remorse sets in !  🙈🤦🏻‍♂️  Jajajajaja 😂)

They still have a bid increment or two in them and still be at a reasonable place with them .

I like the ones you mentioned.  I have found that those big serious collectors are able to find the best coins consistently.   They probably have people like Laura ( Legend ) on the hunt for quality for them .  
  • edited June 2022
    I really value the coins that I have received from my Dad and Grandfather! They are not super expensive but to me they are priceless....

• Sadly, when a coin is being slabbed, the envelopes & paperwork ( flip inserts, invoices) are far to frequently discarded / lost by the auction company or slab company. So there is no proof that a coin’s or medal’s pedigree on the slab label is true unless a coin can be matched to a pedigree’s catalogue image. Which is difficult ie Eliasberg as those old catalogue images are not crisp and colorful. And a coin’s toning and physical appearance changes over the decades - even tho it is slabbed in an “ airtight”
    holder.

Also, sadly, pedigree is becoming less and less important these days as emphasis is being increasingly
    placed on grade, upgrading & where a coin places in the “ registry”. Oldtime collectors , particularly those who attended the big name sales, appreciate pedigrees. More recent adherents of the hobby cannot “ connect” with those famous hobby names, with very few exceptions.

As an “ oldtime” collector, I mentally relive the experiences I had at long ago famous auctions ( back to 1958) by thumbing thru those heavily annotated auction catalogues like JHU/ Garrett, Dave Bowers once told me - he handled the 4 Garrett auctions 1979-81 - that I was one of only 34 people who
    attended all four sales. I remember them like they were yesterday. Memories ...like the Streisand song says...
  • edited June 2022
    I have a small set of Garrett (T. Harrison) coins, and I would say of the 7 coin set 6 of the 7 are superb, where the 1 being extremely nice. They are not the highest graded, probably 2nd highest and the 6 are also gorgeously toned, probably all stored simply to acquire such beautiful toning. So think about it, all of them were acquired while T. Harrison was collecting, 1860's01870's until he tragically passed away prematurely in an accident. in 1888 at the age of 39. And obviously without the freedom/access/convenience of the internet or speedy travel (planes/cars) he still was able to get condition census pieces that still hold up to today's high standards. So he had to have the eye, the monetary wherewithall and the knowledge to acquire the very best. Whats there not to like.

Certain particular provenances are worth the premium imho. I happen to enjoy owning what was once in housed in his lovely Evergreen mansion in Baltimore Md. And knowing that this gentleman was an equal to an Elan Musk type since he owned Baltimore & Ohio Railroad ie he was a railroad Barron makes me more attracted to the historical significance than any other piece I could also acquire. So much going for great collector's coins, why reinvent the wheel when you can acquire it with due diligence. Makes for a more rewarding time imo.
  • We all agree to each his own, there is no right or wrong. On other threads of this topic on another forum, unsurprisingly we see collectors on both side of this issue - some correctly say they would not pay extra, and others do believe there’s financial value to having a coin with certain pedigrees on the label.

I’m in the latter camp, and will typically pay about an extra increment or two for a nice pedigree with that name on the label.

Separately, there’s fierce debate about coins of our current living top collector, D.L. Hansen. With some collectors, familiarity breeds contempt. For those collectors, not only would they not pay extra, but some have indicated that they would absolutely avoid bidding on a coin with his pedigree on the label. Others have said if they got one of those coins at a good price, they’d then send it in to get reholdered with a normal label.

For me, I love having coins in my collection that at one time have been in the collection of what is (or will be) the greatest coin collection of our lifetimes, with that D.L. Hansen pedigree on the label. I don’t seek them out, but when I see a coin I need where I like the eye appeal that has that label, I go for it! Maybe I have four or five of those.

No doubt some will say this is a marketing gimmick by DLRC. Maybe to some extent it is, since Hansen has a partnership interest in that firm. But I believe them when they clearly say that every coin with that label has indeed actually been in his his collection at some point, and then subsequently upgraded. Some then say these coins that have been upgraded are “rejects”. I don’t see them that way.

I have to stop typing, as my fingers are starting to hurt, lol.

Steve
  • I enjoy having coins in my collection that were previously owned by luminaries in the Bust Half field. Most times I have paid a premium not just because they have a provenance I want but because they are usually of superior quality for the grade. The average coins from their collections usually do not command premiums.
  • edited June 2022
    This post has been removed.

Mod edit: If you are going to accuse some one of such a tactic, you need to provide proof or I'm not going to let it stay up.
  • More impressive than a name on a label is a portrait on the coin. :)

• @Realone , while I can’t prove it, I believe you’re wrong when you state that DLRC will buy a coin, and then immediately get it reholdered with the Hansen label to then sell right away, with as you say the loophole that since Hansen is part owner, it was in his collection.

Call me naive, but I believe these coins being sold were indeed part of his Registry for a period of time, and then sold once upgraded.

Steve
  • A registry trampoline, maybe? ;)
  • @Realone , while I can’t prove it, I believe you’re wrong when you state that DLRC will buy a coin, and then immediately get it reholdered with the Hansen label to then sell right away, with as you say the loophole that since Hansen is part owner, it was in his collection.

Call me naive, but I believe these coins being sold were indeed part of his Registry for a period of time, and then sold once upgraded.

Steve

Just to be accurate I never said " that DLRC will buy a coin, and then immediately get it reholdered with he Hansen label to then sell right away". The context of what I said was that imo nobody can prove if the coin was actually in Mr Hansen's collection. And why would DLRC put the Hansen pedigree on said collection coins, what is the intended purpose if only to sell said coins ?