Percentage of PCGS and NGC Stickered Coins Crossing to CACG - Page 2 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Percentage of PCGS and NGC Stickered Coins Crossing to CACG

Comments

• I voted 20/80. Due to the market valuing NGC CAC less than PCGS CAC as a generalization, I believe over time a lot of NGC CAC coins will be sent in for AUTOMATIC crossover to the more reputable (market) CAC holders. Steve
    That is my plan to crossover most of my ngc cac coins, except for the star designations and a few others for odd reasons.
  • I guess the interesting part will be an increase in prices for NGC CAC stickers coins. You can already see it happening in auctions (at least to my admittedly untrained eye).
  • Yes, since the presumed intention of the new owners are to cross to CACG automatically at the same grade!

Steve
  • I did not vote as I have no idea nor does it really concern me. I personally have no plans to submit any of my beaned coins for crossover. Perhaps someday down the road I may but I see too much risk in jumping in whole hog until the market for CACG coins has been established and proven. I do have some raw coins that I had planned to send and will submit those coins to CACG instead.

Rather ironic in some ways, for years I have been shaking my head at the people that have gone to great expense to cross coin into P plastic (often at lower grades), now many of those same people will be spending even more money to do the same thing all over again.
  • You can lead a horse to a TPG but you can't be sure he's happy.
    >:)
  • I'm collecting Morgan's since 1965 and know Morgan's well. . Market conditions have held me captive to PCGS as they've become increasingly mercenary each passing few years. During early covid i sent them 11 Morgan's (no crack out unless upgrade) most in 1st @ 2nd gen holders I was sure most should upgrade a notch. They didn't Up one. I sent them a letter basic saying "Really did you even look" ? They responded "we stand bye our grades" without a word of consolation. Prior they cracked out an 81cc ms66 green on me against my wishes and acknowledged "oops" and gave me a free 1 year mem as consolation. Big whoop! CAC will be a breath of freedom. Hope i wasn't off topic but I'm sure CAC will do very well against others. In time 25 - 30 % cross from PCGS my vote.
  • edited December 2022
    SeatedNut said:

most Don’t know about everyone else? I will be crossing 100% of my NGC cac coins to the new service.

+1
    the exceptions will be my black 1.0white label 2.0 and 2.1 NGC slabs even my 3.0 NGC slabs and my numerous old NGC sample slabs many which are gold stickered.

• oreville said:
    most Don’t know about everyone else? I will be crossing 100% of my NGC cac coins to the new service.
    +1 the exceptions will be my black 1.0white label 2.0 and 2.1 NGC slabs even my 3.0 NGC slabs and my numerous old NGC sample slabs many which are gold stickered.
    And I will think twice about my ngc * coins
  • If the only reason to swap out an NGC is to change color of plastic, why do it?
    CAC has already verified the coin by their strict standards.
    I don't understand the logic.

:|
  • edited December 2022
    Pyrite said:

If the only reason to swap out an NGC is to change color of plastic, why do it?

While I agree it's not logical as far as the coin and CAC approval are concerned, the bottom line is that unfortunately "The Market" often values CAC approved coins in NGC holders at lower values than the same coin with a CAC sticker in a PCGS holder. While we don't yet know how the CACG holders will be valued, the "logic" is that the CAC approved coin from the NGC holder will be valued more by "The Market" in a CACG holder. Keep in mind that coins in NGC (and PCGS) holders are expected to cross at the same grade or better (excluding color suffixes, etc.).

Based on my above comment, I expect to see a LOT of NGC CAC coins crossed over (but as noted in other threads, maybe/probably not those in the "Old" NGC holders where some people pay a lot of money for coins in those holders, especially with CAC stickers).

Steve
  • edited December 2022
    WilliamJ said:

oreville said:

SeatedNut said:

+1
    the exceptions will be my black 1.0white label 2.0 and 2.1 NGC slabs even my 3.0 NGC slabs and my numerous old NGC sample slabs many which are gold stickered.

Interesting.…i never liked the NGC * slabs but they are becoming a collectible as well?
  • edited December 2022
    Pyrite said:

If the only reason to swap out an NGC is to change color of plastic, why do it?

The logic behind the crossover is to pursue a plus graded coin in a CAC 2.0 holder.

In the alternative, to obtain an early version of the CACG holder which might become a collectible as well.

• edited December 2022
    oreville said:

WilliamJ said:

oreville said:

SeatedNut said:

+1

oreville says: Interesting.…i never liked the NGC * slabs but they are becoming a collectible as well?

Steve says: Yes, same for NGC "Star" coins, AND NGC and PCGS coins with Plus grades. Remember, when CAC applied their sticker, they didn't necessarily agree with the TPG awarding a "plus". It's possible the CACG may deem that coin in a TPG plus grade only a "B" coin, and therefore will not cross it at that same plus grade (inless CACG does indeed feel that coin is an "A" coin).

Steve
  • edited December 2022

oreville said:

WilliamJ said:

oreville said:

SeatedNut said:

+1

oreville says: Interesting.…i never liked the NGC * slabs but they are becoming a collectible as well?
    Steve says: Yes, same for NGC "Star" coins, AND NGC and PCGS coins with Plus grades. Remember, when CAC applied their sticker, they didn't necessarily agree with the TPG awarding a "plus". It's possible the CACG may deem that coin in a TPG plus grade only a "B" coin, and therefore will not cross it at that same plus grade (inless CACG does indeed feel that coin is an "A" coin).

Steve

I never considered the NGC* to be a plus graded coin.
    I did keep two inexpensive ones with mint state quarters dated in the 1950’s as a curiosity.

• Regarding submitting stickered NGC coins I plan to sit tight and see if the NGC coins rise in value. One would think that the fact that a cross is generally guaranteed for both services, the prices would now equalize. But then that would be reasonable, so I'm not counting on it.
  • I agree an NGC Star coin is NOT equivalent to a Plus grade. My point was that it probably may not pay to cross NGC Star coins, or NGC and PCGS coins with Plus grades.
  • I agree an NGC Star coin is NOT equivalent to a Plus grade. My point was that it probably may not pay to cross NGC Star coins, or NGC and PCGS coins with Plus grades.

It might be worthwhile to inquire if CAC will offer a service to view stickered slabs to determine if they are A or B coins at a reduced rate to avoid full submission fees on a B rated coin. This only works if you can submit and pick up the coins in person.

• Just speaking for myself, I would think they should not be "giving away" their services at reduced fees, ESPECIALLY for walk-ins.

Just as they won't share with the public if a coin failed, and if it failed due to "defects" or due to being defect-free, but only a "C" coin.

While JA is truly collector friendly, the nature of the TPG business is if you want an opinion, pay for it! Try asking PCGS for reduced fees and information like this. We all know what their answer will be.
  • Personally, I think this decision is extremely premature. I will wait to see how many assumptions prove out.
    A lot of talk has transpired with no history at all.
    Time is cheap.
    Unless of course the initial truckloads of NCC crossovers get stalled on the turnpike.
    :D
  • Pyrite said:
    Personally, I think this decision is extremely premature. I will wait to see how many assumptions prove out. A lot of talk has transpired with no history at all. Time is cheap. Unless of course the initial truckloads of NCC crossovers get stalled on the turnpike. :D
    Hopefully they don't get stalled in the Kearny post office.